Chapter 55: Someone's Happy, Someone's Sad

Shehnaaz laughed at Rohit’s witty remark.

Rohit was a very considerate and understanding man; he knew better than to ask her why she had slapped
herself. Shehnaaz did not offer an explanation, either.

She said her goodbyes, hung up, went downstairs, and walked towards the bedroom window. She drew the curtains apart before opening the window, and was immediately
greeted by the sun, shining full and warm on her face.

She closed her eyes and breathed in the fresh morning air. Happiness radiated throughout her. She was happy to learn that Sidharth had not been trying to push her away.

The apartment was supposed to be a gift for her but she certainly wasn’t going to accept it. She would find an excuse to see him again, and give it back to him.

For the moment, however, she was grateful for his kind and thoughtful gesture. She had not had many opportunities to know that he cared about her.

What she needed was this sense of security: the knowledge that she had not been abandoned. He was still her Uncle Huo. Shehnaaz was no longer in a hurry to leave the apartment.

She called Parth and said, with a smile in her voice, “Parth, something’s come up. I won’t be heading back, for now. I’ll go back this Sunday night instead.”

“Okay. I’ll pick you up Sunday night.” Unbeknownst to Shehnaaz, Parth had been feeling down the past few days; Shefali’s text about “ginger tea” had reminded him of certain memories from his high school days.

But it was no use wallowing in the past. He had to soldier on. He had also discovered that he desperately wanted to see Shehnaaz again, after having been apart from her for several days now.

It was a novel experience for him. Given enough time, perhaps Shehnaaz would be able to erase the old yearning and regret in his heart. Shehnaaz was, after all, the only other woman he had met in the last four years who had been able to make him feel again.

On Sunday night, Parth arrived at the gate to Andheri Precinct, right on time. Shehnaaz only had her backpack this time. She did not have her little suitcase with her.

Parth opened the car door, and quickly looked Shehnaaz over before asking, “Where’s your suitcase?”

“I left it in the apartment. I don’t have to bring it with me today.” Shehnaaz smiled as she got into the car.

The two of them drove out of Andheri Precinct, then pulled into a gas station to refuel the car. At that moment, Kasmira came out of the gas station’s
convenience store. She spotted Parth  at once, and then Shehnaaz, sitting inside his car.

It had only been a few days since she last saw Shehnaaz, but it seemed to Kasmira that she had gotten even more lovely and charming.

Kasmira stared at the two of them for some time, before finally leaving in her own car. She was going to the detention center the next day to visit
her parents and her sister, and wasn’t in the best of moods. She had gone for a drive to take her mind off things.
She hadn’t expected to come across Shehnaaz—the absolute last person she wanted to see right now – and her rich, handsome boyfriend, all lovey-dovey together in public. Her mood soured further.

Parth had returned to the car after he was done refueling. He chatted amiably with Shehnaaz as he drove
to the university. “Sana, where do you want to go for our class graduation
trip?”

“Anywhere’s fine,” Shehnaaz said indifferently. But then she was struck with a thought, and had to add, sheepishly,

“But I hope it isn’t too far away. My family won’t let me go on the trip if it’s too far away.”