Chapter 155 - The Half- Year Contract

Happy Holi ✨🎊

______________________________________

“I haven’t gone back on my word. This is about you—you don’t want to be with me, which means our half-year
contract is no longer valid,” Shehnaaz  said impassively.

It was an early December morning.

The wintry DC wind cut to the bone; Shehnaaz had to pull her overcoat together.

The fiery red Hermès cashmere and silk flamenco scarf around her neck stood out against her metallic gray
military-style cashmere overcoat. The contrast between the bold and the subdued was particularly attractive on this chilly winter morning: it caught the eye of everyone around her.

A constant stream of familiar men and women—her colleagues at US Congress, and members of parliament—greeted her as they passed by.

“Morning!”

“Gill, I love your look today!”

“Gill, want me to bring you breakfast?”

Shehnaaz smiled as she waved to everyone, before pointing to her phone. They exchanged a knowing smile, indicating that they understood.

She decided to take her phone call elsewhere. She moved away from the steps and walked over to a row of trees that were already bald for the winter. She shoved her free hand in her coat pocket as she seated herself on a bench.

It was clear that Parth did not accept what she was saying. He said with a sneer: “You’re the one going back on
your word, admit it. When did I ever say I don’t want to be with you?! I just said you were going to be my girlfriend soon. Did you immediately forget? You’re a top student—surely you’re not that forgetful?”

“Parth, do you really want to be with me?” Shehnaaz was unperturbed. When she spoke, the warm breath from her red cherry lips condensed in the wintry air, shrouding her pretty face in misty vapors. The dreamy effect made her look even more lovely.

“How many times do I have to say it? I want to be with you, I want you to be my girlfriend—I want to marry you, even! Why won’t you believe me?!” Parth was standing on the balcony of his house. He stared at the city lights,
consumed with anger.

Why was this girl being so stubborn?

Shehnaaz sighed. She said hoarsely, “Parth, your actions and your words contradict each other. What am I
supposed to believe: your empty promises, or what you’ve done?”

It was obvious that Parth had not expected to hear this from Shehnaaz.

He was silent for a moment. “Sana, what do you mean?”

“I believe I made myself clear. Neither of us are committed to the relationship, so it’s pointless for us to be together.”

She had been out in the open for some time now, and the cold wintry air had seeped into her hands and feet.

Shehnaaz got up and walked towards the Capitol Building.

She had not expected such a simple break-up call to go on for so long.

Parth paced the balcony, agitated and irritable. “How am I not committed? I’m looking forward to seeing you here, back home. How can you do this to me? You’ve found someone else, haven’t you? It’s you—you changed your mind!”

“I didn’t change my mind.” Shehnaaz’s voice was calm.

She was telling the truth: there had only ever been one person in her heart. Her feelings had not changed in the slightest.