Chapter 129 - Brawl

“Play against Team Pakistan?” Rohit broke into a grin.

“Great, I’ll cheer you on!”

“Let’s go together.” Shehnaaz slung the baseball bat on her shoulder and opened the front door. Rohit quickly
found his baseball cap and left for the field with her. They were staying in the States for six months and he had
originally planned to buy a second hand SUV. However, they were mainly on the Harvard campus and didn’t have a need to drive. Instead, they rode mountain bikes for transportation and exercise. Shehnaaz and Rohit rode their bikes to the west baseball field.

There was already a large crowd there.

The Indian Students Union womens’ baseball team wore uniforms with red tops and white bottoms. The members of Team India were wearing white and blue tops and orange bottoms with green embroidery, displaying the colors of India’s national flag.

Shehnaaz also donned the Indian uniform; her long hair was tied back in a ponytail that swayed from the back of the baseball cap. She appeared as fresh as the first dew drops of a summer morning. A few male law students recognized her and whistled. One of them was Allan, who had asked if she had a boyfriend on her first day of class.

“Nini! Nini! Nini!” He called Shehnaaz’s English name as he waved madly and told everyone, “See that cutie? She’s mine!”

Rohit was beaming as he found a seat and watched Shehnaaz nimbly run around. He was proud and joyous, as
though his own daughter was playing out on the field.

“Sana, you’re here! Did you see that we’re already behind, 1-5?” Pankaj  had sweat on his forehead as he ran over. “Do you really know how to play?”

Shehnaaz had seen the scoreboard and confirmed that they were indeed being defeated by Team Pakistan.

Shruti was in Team Pakistan’s uniform and was chatting happily with an Pakistani man. Pankaj followed Shehnaaz’s gaze to them and said quietly, “That’s her boyfriend.”

“Hmph!” Shehnaaz snorted disdainfully. “Let her be with them for the rest of her life!”

Pankaj chuckled. “Ignore her,” he looked around before saying, “but don’t underestimate her; she’s very good at baseball. She scored 3 points out of the 5 for Team Pakistan.”

Shehnaaz waved her baseball bat. “Don’t worry, I’ll handle it!” The referee blew his whistle as they spoke and the three bases were occupied by the Team India players. It was Shehnaaz’s turn.

“Go Sana!”

“Go Sana!”

“Nini! You’re the best!”

Shehnaaz waved at the crowd before readying the bat in her hand. The opponent pitcher was a huge woman, nearly twice Shehnaaz’s size. She observed Shehnaaz’s tall and slim figure, then suddenly lifted her leg and flung the baseball right at Shehnaaz’s chest! This ball had been thrown at a tricky angle; If it had been a male pitcher, this would’ve been nothing unusual. But for a female pitcher, it was almost considered foul play. Most pitchers avoided throwing so nastily under normal circumstances.

Shehnaaz was in low spirits and wanted to vent anyway. As the batter in the face of such a difficult and foul throw, she didn’t avoid it, but instead dashed towards it headfirst and raised her arms to viciously hit it with her bat!

Bang! The ball was hit at a low angle and was sent back, disappearing into the sky with a whoosh. Shehnaaz threw down the bat and sped towards the first, second, and third bases, then made the home base before the opponent found the baseball.