Chapter 97 - Jealous

Parth was still groggy from sleep, but Shehnaaz’s cheerful voice snapped him out of his brain fog.

He loved her voice. Every time she spoke he could not help but hang on to her every word; he did not want to miss a single syllable.

“Yeah, when I came back yesterday the front door was already locked. I had to wake the resident advisor, have him open the door for me. He wasn’t too pleased about that.”

Parth’s voice was still a little raspy. He supported himself on the bed and slowly sat up.

Shehnaaz was relieved to hear that Parth had returned to his dormitory yesterday, instead of partying the
night away with his high school classmates. She inwardly gave Parth a thumbs-up.

“It’s already noon. Are you hungry? How about I get you something to eat?” Shehnaaz was in a good mood, and when she was in a good mood she was inclined to be extra nice to Parth.

After all, Parth had diligently brought her breakfast for two or three months in a row, in addition to accompanying
her for lunch and dinner.

She always repaid her debts. Even if she had none, it was nice to do a good deed for someone else, once in a while…

Parth had not expected Shehnaaz to offer to bring him lunch. He was deeply touched by it. He said, pensively, “Is this what they mean when they say good things come to those who wait?”

Shehnaaz: “…Hahahaha, you’re overreacting. What, don’t you eat lunch?”

“Of course I do. I still can’t believe you’re actually offering to get takeout for me. I’m eating it, no matter what.” Parth rolled out of bed, and discovered that he was all alone in his dormitory room.

He lazily shuffled into his slippers and put on a T-shirt. He opened the front door to air out the rooms – only to find Shefali standing before him.

Parth was dumbfounded. He turned to look at the number on the front door.

There had been no mistake: it was his dormitory room, all right.

Shefali was carrying a plastic bag; in it were containers of food she had bought from a restaurant.

“I know you haven’t had breakfast or lunch.” Shefali casually raised the plastic bag, her tone easy and unaffected. “Eat up, these are all your favorites.”

Parth had not expected Shefali to be so persistent.

He sighed, and shook his head. “Why are you doing this to yourself?”

“It’s not what you think. I’ve accepted that we’re never going to be together. I just want to be friends.” Shefali patted him on the shoulder. “It hurt when you rejected me last night, but I’ve thought it over, and I think I have to thank you. If you hadn’t rejected me, my future husband may find out one day and resent the both of us, and I’d regret it for the rest of my life.”

Parth’s face finally broke into a smile.

He nodded and said, “I knew you’d understand.” He continued in a teasing
manner: “You’re a good girl, Shefu, I’m sure there are dozens of men out there waiting for you to give them a chance. You shouldn’t be too picky.”

“I know. I’ll stop looking for someone like you, Class Rep.” Shefali tilted her head to one side and gave a small smile. It was surprisingly lovely to look at.

Parth smiled and patted her on the shoulder. He seated himself at the table and watched as Shefali removed the boxes of food from the bag. She arranged them on the table, and placed a pair of disposable chopsticks before him.