Chapter 141 - Who Did You Come For?

“You want me to go? What for? I’d be useless.” Sandeep hurriedly swallowed his mouthful of food. He looked sideways at Sidharth as he took a sip of water. “Why don’t you go?”

Sidharth shook his head. “No, I can’t go. They can’t know I’m her guardian, not yet. You understand, don’t you? If the US military finds out about me, Sana won’t be able to come back here—they won’t let her.”

Sandeep set his chopsticks down and wiped his mouth with a paper napkin. He looked up at the ceiling and murmured, “Six whole years, and no one tried to look for her. We haven’t been able to dig up anything about her, either; maybe we’ve been overthinking it? What if she’s just an ordinary orphan, with both parents tragically dead from an unfortunate accident and no living relatives?”

Sidharth’s eyes narrowed. He held his head in one hand as he toyed with a gold coin, rolling it over his knuckles.

He did not reply. He would not jump to conclusions, not until he had definitive evidence to prove where Shehnaaz had come from.

Before then, anything was possible.
He had to keep a clear head.

“Hello? Did you hear what I said? Little Deepak is in the US, isn’t he? What more do you want?” Sandeep shook Sidharth’s arm to snap him out of his reverie. “Or is there a problem with Sana’s case?”

Sidharth lowered his eyes as he closed his fingers over the gold coin he had been toying with. “I don’t think so. Kartik is an excellent lawyer. Still, I want Sana to keep her distance from him.”

“Oh? And why is that?” Sandeep’s eyebrows shot upwards; the effect was comical on his round, pudgy face. “Kartim is Sana’s professor, and he’s been very good to her. Come to think of it, I remember hearing from Big Rohit that Professor Sen is exceptionally talented and highly respected, especially for someone as young as he is. He’s apparently quite the looker, too.”

Sidharth looked at him coldly. “What are you trying to say?”

“Young girls can never resist men like him, you know. Heck, he’s not a man, he’s a god.” Sandeep looked at Sidharth, his eyes twinkling with amusement. “An Adonis, a real knockout, you know? Oh, my mistake though; you never go on the internet forums, so you probably don’t keep
up with the latest slang.”

Sidharth looked at Sandeep as though he were an idiot. He said nothing.

Sandeep chuckled as he wagged a finger. “What are you looking at me for? I’m no Adonis! I’m just describing the latest social trend. Boss, c’mon, just tell me the truth— aren’t you worried about Sana being in America for half a year, with someone as attractive as Kartik hanging around her?”

“Why would I worry?” Sidharth’s expression was calm and composed. Not even Sandeep, who knew him well,
could tell whether he was bluffing.

“Huh, so you’re not worried? At all? Fine, if you say so.”

Sandeep turned away, somewhat annoyed, and reached for a can of beer. He cracked it open with a loud pssshhh, and took a long chug. “Okay, tell me what you want me to do.”

Sidharth had been waiting for Sandeep to be serious.

He rose from his seat and walked into his study.

Sandeep followed him inside and sat across from him on the other side of his desk.

“Take a look at this.” Sidharth tossed him a folder.

“You won’t be going alone. I’ll get the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to send a few other men with you. You’ll go to the US as a medical expert hired by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Once you’re there, ask Little Deepak for further instructions.”