middle child syndrome - niall ddm

| name - Y/n (your name) |
| your age - nine |
| Amelia - your mum|
| nathan - your fourteen year old brother |
| noah - your six year old brother |
| Backstory - middle child syndrome, part two |
—————————————————————————

y/n's pov
13th february
yesterday was a whirlwind to say the least, im just gonna drop it all. so be ready for a huge drop of events.

i went for ice cream with nathan after he read my book, i had a talk with nathan about my book, dad overheard my conversation with nathan, i was including in the dinner conversations, dad spoke to me and told me he will talk to mum.

so that leaves me, once again by myself. but this time dad told me everything, he obviously feels really bad.

i know it's all just pity, sympathy for how bad he feels. i know once he tells mum i'll be getting all this weird attention and all this fake affection from them.

and i know after a day or two it will all go back to normal, maybe less yelling on dad's behalf, but mum will go back to mum. yelling at me for anything, breathing even. 

he told me that mum was out grocery shopping and nathan was with her, then dad told me he was taking noah for his yearly checkup at the doctors. pretty boring if you ask me.

dad said once everyone's back home, he'll speak to mum, which i'm really scared for. i know she's going to get really mad at me.

i'd be fine if it all continued like this, mum basically ignoring me, dad only talking to me out of pity, noah and nathan treating me like how brothers treat their sisters.

i'd be okay with it, every part of it. i want to be loved by my family but i want nothing more but for them all to be happy, and if i don't make them happy then they can continue to ignore me.

i often tell myself someday i'll be some big time author and i'll be living an amazing life. maybe even have a dog, or two.

i tell myself all this won't matter in ten years, it won't matter how they treat me. all that will matter in ten years time is me, and living my dreams and my best life.

i hope in ten years they don't still treat me like this but if they do, it'll be okay.

"hey baby, we're back" i heard my dad voice call out from the front door. i put my pen down and closed my book, i can't have anyone else read this. i'm afraid it'll eventually tear our family apart.

"hi" i smiled, just as dad and noah walked in.

"what you writing?" noah asked, siting next to me.

"nothing" i said, sending a small smile his way.

"okay" he smiled, jumping back up and going into the pantry.

"mum said she'll be home soon, don't worry about it" dad said, looking at me with this look in his eyes. i wouldn't call it sadness or sympathy, but he looks like somethings been on his mind.

"okay" i said, playing with my clicky pen. i heard the front door click open. "i-i'm gonna go to my room"

"okay baby" dad said, sending me a smile which i returned before running up the stairs.

niall's pov
"hey can i talk to you? it shouldn't take too long" i asked as ameila and nathan walked inside.

"yeah of course, i'm just gonna put these away and i'll be up soon" she said. i helped put some of the groceries away and we then went up to our bedroom.

"is everything okay?" she asked.

"it's about y/n" i said, sitting besides her on our bed.

"yeah?"

"i overheard her and nathan talking yesterday, they were talking about how nathan had read her book. the one she's always writing in" i began. "i-i don't know how to explain it but she sounded upset, they were talking about how y/n felt alone"

"what are you trying to say?"

"we need to spend more time with her, she feels alone, she feels like she has no one on her side. she thinks it's us versus her, we just need to remind her she isn't by herself in this" i said, tears brimming in my eyes.

"i had no idea" Amelia said, her eyes just as glossy as mine.

"when she went out for ice cream i took these, so i could show you" i said, handing my phone to her.

i know it's bad to invade her privacy but if she feels like this i needed to, who knows what could of happened.

as she read tears began slowly rolling down her cheeks "why didn't she tell us"

"i don't think she could, writings her way of expressing everything" i said.

"why don't we all go for dinner tonight? let her choose" she suggested.

"yeah" i agreed. "but all this attention will come as a huge shock to her, maybe let it all happen slowly. so it doesn't just bombast her"

y/n's pov
"hey, we're thinking of going out for dinner but we can't think of anywhere to go. do you have any ideas?" dad asked, i looked away from the tv and smiled.

"uh, what about that new Italian place on the corner near the beach?" i suggested.

"sounds perfect, we're gonna leave in maybe thirty minutes" dad told me.

"i'll go get ready" i smiled, i ran up to my room. it was so hard to contain my excitement. i got ready and went downstairs.

~

we were now back from dinner, it was really fun. i know it's all just pity but i finally feel included, like i'm apart of the family and not just a waste of space.

i had already showered and was ready for bed when i heard a knock on my door. "come in"

"hey honey" it was my mum.

"hi" i said, a small smile on my face. i know what's coming next. 'i'm sorry' then tomorrow it'll go back to 'stop sitting there like that!'

"i think i owe you an apology" she said, sitting besides me. "i'm so sorry for how i've been treating you, i don't know why which i feel horrible for. i feel like the worlds worst mother for not even being able to tell my daughter why i've been such a horrible mum to her"

"it's okay really" i said. "i don't need a whole story i'm just happy your talking to me and not yelling"

"i'm so sorry, i love you so much and i want you to always remember that" she said, hugging me which i immediately hugged her back.

"i love you too"

————————————————————————-

sorry this chapter isn't really that good, i didn't really know what to write for this one. but i hope you enjoyed it and feel free to suggest ideas lots of love sadie x