Part 92 (What's Best For You)

Gaia's P.O.V.

"Gaia?" Someone calls my name.

"What happened?"

"You fainted. How are you feeling?" It was Blake.

"Strangely, better."

"Good. Are you ever going to listen to me?"

"Why?"

"I asked you to stay in bed. Why didn't you?"

"I heard Kellan yelling and then glass breaking. I got scared 'cause I knew he was attacking you... Plus I thought you were just joking about the whole blood thing."

"Hey! When it comes to your health I don't joke about that, Gaia." I chuckle very lightly, something he didn't take kindly... "Don't do that, don't laugh. It's not funny. You died, Gaia! It wasn't a joke... it was the end of my life." He scolds me.

"I'm sorry."

"Would you be laughing if the roles were changed?"

"No, of course not! I... I didn't mean to laugh, it was more like a huff anyway." I sit up.

"You're lucky they got that blood on time." Since I was talking to him on the right side of the bed, I didn't even notice they had made the transfusion on my left hand.

"Is that what that is?" I gag.

"You okay?"

"That is gross! Get it off me."

"You can't."

"It's blood! Someone else's blood, accumulated in a bag, plastic, transparent bag! You can see everything! I'm gonna throw up."

"Then don't look at it." 

"Glad to see you're back to your old self."

"Hey, mom. Hey, dad." I smile.

"How you feeling?"

"Better."

"I'll leave you guys to it." Blake says.

"Blake." I call him but he just walks out the room.

____________O____________

Blake's P.O.V.

I step out of the room, not looking back when she calls me. I can't look at her in the eye knowing I'm the one who put her here. If I had been more careful she wouldn't be in this situation... Then again we wouldn't have Theo.

"Mr. Griffin?" The doctor called. I was so scared it was more bad news...

"As long as you're the one I want, you don't have to worry about who wants me."

"Our lawyer will come down shortly in case you want to sue. He'll brief you."

"Sue? Why would I wanna sue?"

"Well we made a mistake thinking, and telling you she was dead."

"Sir, you saved my wife's life... I should be throwing you a party, not suing you... Thank you." I shake his hand.

"It's what we're here for. Congratulations again."

"Blake?" Gaia steps out.

"What are you doing out of bed? Didn't I just tell you you have to rest?" She pulls me down for a kiss.

"I love you." She whispers.

"Okay, I love you too."

"Look at me and say that." I look and stare deep into her eyes and tell her that I love her. "What's going on?"

"Nothing." I lie.

"You really gonna throw that excuse at me?"

"Go back to bed. Don't the stitches hurt?"

"No. Are you trying to avoid me?"

"I can't do this, G."

"Do what?"

"I'm glad you're okay, really. I'm so happy you're safe but--"

"No." She says in a stern voice. "You don't get to do this! You don't get to leave! We just had a child for God's sake. I literally died, you said so yourself--"

"Because of me! You're here because of me!"

"No, I am not! I made this choice, Blake."

"Maybe you deserve Kellan more than me."

"What?!"

"He hasn't left since he got here." I point at him so she could see him.

"So? Neither have you!"

"Yeah but he was careful when he slept with you. I wasn't."

"Is this about me being here or is it about Kellan?"

"You belong with him."

"No, I don't! I belong with my husband, the father of my kids."

"Have you seen the way he looks at you?"

"So what?!! You look at me the same way, Blake... As long as you're the one I want, you don't have to worry about who wants me."

"How can you just stand there and not blame me for this?"

"Because I don't. It takes two, Blake. You didn't make him alone."

"I'm bad for you. First I break your heart and now I almost got you killed, twice to be exact!"

"Enough! Stop it! You're not doing this to me. You're supposed to be happy and smiling and telling me how much you love me."

"And I do! God, I do. You have no idea how happy I am that you're alive."

"What makes you think I could live without you? What part of this makes you think I'll be happy?"

"I just keep playing over and over again in my head the day you said that if you died it was gonna my fault."

"I never should've said that. I was mad at you and saying things I didn't mean."

"But they were true."

"Stop it, Blake. I mean it! You're starting to piss me off... I do not regret the decision we made. Because if we didn't we wouldn't have that little boy. Now, shut up and take me to see our son."

I nod. "Yes, ma'am."

I grab her hand and take her to the intensive care area where he was incubated. When she saw him she got all emotional. She was sad to see him in there, but happy he was alive, of course.

"Hi, Theo." She whispers. She puts her hand through the incubator hole and with her index finger, she touches his hand. We were both amazed and smiled when he grabbed her finger. "Hi baby, I'm your momma." As she smiles a tear falls from her eye to her cheek.

"You okay?" I ask. She nods and turns to me.

She sniffles. "I love you." She hugs me. "I love you so much. Thank you."

"For what?"

"For being the father of my kids, for being who you are, for being here... for everything." She cups my face. "You're a wonderful man, don't you ever forget that. I'm glad you're their father, because I want them to grow up to be like you... Without the whole breaking hearts--"

"Okay, okay. I get it." 

She chuckles. "The best thing about this is that you're mine."

I chuckle too. "I was always yours... I just want what's best for you and the kids."

"I'm looking right at it... You're not leaving us."

"Never." I whisper and give her a long overdue kiss.

I love her, I really do. She's the light of my life and she'll forever will be. I just don't want to be the reason that she keeps getting hurt. Which comes the question... Am I really what's best for her?

--------------------------------------------------------

Will Blake really leave her to keep her "safe"?