Part 57 (Dreams & Nightmares)

Blake's P.O.V.

**1 week later:

"Blake? Blake!" I wake up from Mrs. K's calls. "Go home"

"No"

"You need some real rest"... It's already been 2 weeks since Gaia fell into her coma. I haven't slept anything, I've been missing games... it's been a mess.

"I'm fine"

"You're not fine" she says firmly. "She wouldn't want you like this"

"I know, but she'd be doing the exact same thing if it was me Mrs. K"

"I understand that, but you need rest. Go, keep your mind busy, play basketball"

"I can't think about basketball right now"

"She would want you out there, doing what you love... It's not like she's going anywhere... Go, win for her, dunk for her, cause God knows how much she loves to see you dunk... do it for her"

Maybe she has a point... maybe she doesn't want me here. But I can't leave her, it's my fault...

"I'll go get some rest, I'll think about the whole game thing... If she wakes up--"

"You'll be the first person I call"

"Thank you... and Mrs. K?"

"Yes?"

"I really love your daughter... I always have, since the first time I told her that I loved her"

"I know" she smiles, but given the situation, it was a weak one... I head on home to get some sleep in our lonely bed...

"Daddy?" Asher walks in.

"Hey kiddo... come here" I tap on the bed and he came.

"Is mommy awake yet?"

"No buddy, remember? I told you she's going to sleep for a long time, like those princess movies mommy puts on for Penelope..."

"But in the movies the prince gives the princess a kiss and they wake up... Aren't you mommy's prince?"

"I hope I am after this... but's it's more complicated than that. Let's just get some sleep now okay?"

"Okay"

****************

I wake up in our room, very bright, everything white... soft sheets, cool air, it was a beautiful shiny morning. I feel someone moving behind me and when I turn around... Gaia. She was fine, she smiled at me as soon as she saw me.

"Morning" she says with her beautiful smile... I swear the only thing more incredible than her smile, is when she's smiling at me.

"Morning... you're okay"

"Why wouldn't I be?"

"No reason... I just had a horrible nightmare"

"What about?"

"You... in a coma. We were fighting, mostly me and you stopped breathing"

"Well that sucks" she places her hand on the side of my face and begins to stroke it.

"You look peaceful" I whisper.

"I am" my smile fades away...

"This is a dream isn't it? You're still laying in that hospital bed" I come to a reality... "If this is a dream I don't ever want to wake up"

"Someone has to look after Asher and Penelope"

"Why won't you wake up?"

"I'm just a dream, darling... But please don't feel guilty about this"

"But I am"

"No you're not... If it didn't happen now, it would've happened later" 

"But still, I was the cause of it"

"Stop beating yourself up and go live your life... Don't stop because of me."

"But you are my life. How am I supposed to live without you?"

"The same way you did when you left me"

"I was miserable..."

"You'll be okay" she continues to stoke my hair...

"I should've married you a long time ago.. I should've pressured you"

"Maybe it was for the best"

"No... I'm gonna marry you, as soon as you wake up, we're getting married"

She smiles and tears fall to the side of her face... "That's sweet... But I'm not waking up, babe" my eyes water as soon as I hear her say that. "My body's weak, I can't take it... it's time for me to go"

"What? No! You're strong, you can beat this"

"I tried... I really did, but I can only hunt you in your dreams now" she cried forcing a smile on her face.

"No" my tears fall. "No... this is a dream, right? So what you're saying is not true... If you were gone you're heart would've stopped beating... but you're still here and I'm not giving up on you"

"Whatever happens... I love you, and I do not blame you for this, so don't blame yourself" she starts to look around the bedroom "I gotta go"

"Where?"

"I told you I was leaving...But can you do me a favor?"

"Anything..."

"Could you please not marry Sarah... or Brynn"

I chuckle "I told you, I'm gonna marry you" she smiles.

"And I told you... I won't make it out of this one..."

*********************

I jolt up and notice I was crying for real... I had Asher in front of me sleeping. I quickly step out of the room and call Mrs. K. to see if anything was wrong, but it wasn't... everything was fine. I grab Asher and place him on his bed. It kills me to see him miss Gaia so much...

Was this dream supposed to mean something? Should I let her go? Can I even let her go? Am I being selfish by wanting her with me?

**3 months later:

Still no change... Gaia was still in her coma with no imporvement. I can't believe it's been three months, but it's okay... I have everything ready for when she wakes up... I've been bringing her flower weekly, told her about my day, and what the kids have done... Today I had a game and I decided to play for her... we got the win and afterwards I got new flowers and head straight to the hospital to visit her... I was walking through the hallway, I was so excited to tell her about my day...

"Oh, sorry sir. You can't go in right now?"

"Why not?"

"They're signing the papers to disconnect her..." I instantly felt like someone ripped my heart out...

--------------------------------------

So like the cry baby I am, I cried writing this...

Can Blake stop this in time? Will he lose Gaia forever?