Part 2 (Brokenhearted)

“It’s not much but, you know” he grabs my hand and puts a dinosaur toy ring on my finger and I start laughing. “So yeah?” I knew what he meant, but I wanted to hear him say it.

“Yeah what?”

He takes a little time “Will you marry me one day? I mean I’ll get you a real ring when the day comes.”

“It could be a barbed wire and I would still say yes” I fall on his chest and we start to kiss.

*Flashback 6 months later:
We were fine for a couple of more months, we recently celebrated our 3 years together, but then Blake started to get attention from a lot of people, he was busy all the time. I wasn’t mad at him, I mean it meant good news. Until he started ignoring me, he never answered my calls, texts, nothing. He didn’t even take the time to call me back. It was as if I was cut off from his life with no warning, so I just gave up. I cried every single night, but I did tell him I was gonna end up not being in his life. I guess I was right, William still talked to me but I didn’t want to put him in the awkward position of asking him about Blake, so I never mentioned him.

Present:
William went on to Tulsa to play football and came for Christmas vacation, he came home and we took a walk around the park to catch up. It was freezing so I could see my breath every time.

William: “So uh… Blake won rookie of the year”

I didn’t want to talk about him, it’s been almost two years since we ‘broke up’  “I heard” I said with pain in my heart

“Have you talked to him?”

“Um, no and I don’t plan to”

“You should talk to him”

I shake my head “I tried that before, remember?”

“Yeah… I’m sorry about how things turned out between you guys”

I was uncomfortable talking about him so I just change the subject “So, how are you in Tulsa?”

“It’s good, what about you? How you doing with the business?”

“It’s getting there, I’m looking for a place and as soon as I find it I’ll move” I was a fashion designer, I didn’t go to college, I was pretty good at it and a lot of people paid me to make clothes for them, so I decided to open up my own store.

We talked about old times and the crazy stuff we did. We laughed until he said…

“It’s funny how short life is, isn’t it?”

I look at him confused, it had nothing to do with our conversation “What do you mean?”

He holds me to a stop “I already told Blake, but I wanted to tell you in person”

“What?” I asked worried

“I was diagnosed with cancer” I was shocked “I’ll start chemotherapy this weekend”

“How’d you find out?”

“I collapsed in Tulsa… You’ll be at the hospital, right?”

“Of course, whatever you need” I couldn’t believe it, after a got home I cried all night. He acted like it was nothing when it was a huge thing.

**Weekend at the hospital:
I enter the hospital… William spots me and waves at me from his wheelchair.

“Hey, you made it”

“I told you I was coming” we high five and I say hello to his parents and brother, we joke a little when suddenly I hear a deep voice.