› the one i love. lee hyein ‹

> warning : nothing ig
> angst and fluff
> second chance love trope !!
> plot; y/n and hyein, both were once in a happy relationship, but they split up. after some time apart, y/n and hyein both have changed and grown. when they meet again by chance, they both can't help but feel like they're falling for each other all over again. they have both changed and grown, but at the same time, they feel like they're still the same person they once loved.
> 3000+ words. enjoy.

- 💌 -

- third person pov -

hyein groggily swung her legs off the side of her bed, her heart heavy with thoughts of her ex, y/n. she slowly rose to her feet, eyes still puffy from tears shed all night yesterday. she looked at herself in the mirror, trying to will herself to get up and get through the day ahead.

the sun was already shining through her window, illuminating her room with warm golden light. hyein took a deep breath, trying to shake off the melancholy that still lingered in her chest.

hyein pulled on a hoodie, wanting to shield herself from the world. she left her room and headed towards the kitchen. she took note of the breakfast her mother had made and tried forcing herself to eat, but the words "no appetite" wouldn't leave her mind. even though her stomach growled, she couldn't find the will to eat.

hyein's mother looked at her worriedly. "you look tired, my dear. everything all right?"

hyein just nodded mutely, not wanting to reveal that she had spent the night crying over y/n. "i just want to go back to busan and see y/n" hyein's breath caught in her throat as memories of happier times with y/n flooded her mind like a tidal wave. she closed her eyes, feeling the pain she had spent so long trying to escape.

"but why busan? don't you want to stay here in seoul, away from your memories with y/n?" her mother sighed sadly.

"no," hyein replied, her voice cracking slightly, "i miss y/n. and i need to see her. i need to tell her i'm sorry."

"dear, it's been so long since you last saw y/n," her mother pleaded. "why do you think seeing her now will change anything?"

hyein's heart sank, hearing those words, but a determined look crossed her face.
"i don't know if it will change anything," she said, her voice stronger now, "but i don't care. i need to see her again, even for a moment."

"i'm sorry, but i cannot let you go to busan by yourself," her mother said sternly. "hyein, you're still young and impressionable, and i don't want you getting swept up in y/n's memory lane. she didn't treat you well back then, and who knows if she's changed now."

"i have to go!" hyein argued. "you don't understand, i can't just move on from her!"

her mother sighed, seeing how much this meant to her daughter – hyein and her mother were about to argue, but before they could, hyein walked out the door and headed to school. she felt frustrated that her mother didn't understand her need to see y/n again, and she feared that her inability to do so would only push her to make rash decisions.

at school, hyein tried to focus on her classes, but she still felt distracted and lost in thought. she couldn't get y/n out of her mind, and she feared that if she didn't see her soon, she would go crazy.

hyein's thoughts were still lingering on y/n when she walked out of school and made her way home – the bright sunshine of the day didn't help to cheer her up, and by the time she arrived back home, she was ready to explode with emotion. she rushed into her room, slamming the door behind her.