Chapter 7 | Upgraded Security

Bryan's POV

A few days had passed since someone snuck into the apartment.

I never found out what happened to the intruder, Inpu just said it was better if I didn't know.

Knowing I lived with a mafia boss, I had my suspicions, but I figured it'd be better to not know.

Inpu said he was going to work on a few things to keep me safer, but he wouldn't tell me what.

He said we'd be going on a small trip soon for something I could have at home to keep me safe, he said it was a surprise and I could tell his answer would be a "no" if I asked for a hint.

It was early in the morning, I could hear the servants walking around and I knew Inpu had already left for work, so I was left with nothing to do for the next few hours.

I knew a few people in town from when I visited for a business trip about a year ago so I figured I'd use the day to attempt to reach out to them.

As time passed, I only got one response which ended up being the one person I hoped would respond.

Her name was Flix, she was a phoenix hybrid who I worked with for a project.

I remembered her mentioning having something done on her wings before, so I hoped she'd be able to answer some of my questions.

We talked on the phone for a bit and planned to meet up at a coffee shop that was pretty close to the apartment building so we could talk in person.

As soon as I hung up the phone, I received a text from Inpu.

Inpu: I'm in the parking garage, get ready and head outside, I'm taking you somewhere

Me: Where?

Inpu: Surprise

I was already dressed, I just needed to find a jacket since it was getting a bit cold out, but I didn't have one, so I just headed outside to the garage.

It didn't take long to find the car since Inpu was parked right next to the elevator, so I quickly got in.

"Why aren't you wearing a jacket?"

"Because I don't have one, I'm planning on hanging out with a friend this weekend, so I'll get one them"

Inpu just sighed and started to drive somewhere.

Had I known the city better, I would've been trying to guess where we were going, but I didn't so I just looked out the window and enjoyed the view of the nicer side of the city.

We drove for a while and as the sun was setting, we finally stopped outside a house in the suburbs.

I was a bit confused because it was a few hours away from home and Inpu didn't usually like going this far out.

He walked over to the door first and knocked a few times.

Soon, someone opened the door and let us both in.

I noticed a few dogs running around in a pen in the living room, so I walked over and decided to just watch them while Inpu was conversing with the other person.

As I got closer, I noticed they were golden retriever puppies, they all had bright coats which caused me to almost not notice their breed.

Inpu must have noticed I walked away because I heard him chuckle before he walked over to where I was and gently picked up one of the pups.

"If you were to keep one of them, what would you name them?"

"Well, I'd probably get a boy because they often have better temperaments compared to girls, so I'd name him Helios" (The temperament thing with dogs is what I've actually noticed in real life since I have a boy and a girl dog)