Chapter 78 | Talking It Out

Inpu's POV

As soon as I got home from work, I noticed Bryan and Crystal weren't at home and the rest of the kids were asleep.

I knew Bryan wasn't ready to talk about what happened today, so I decided to just wait in the dark for him to get home.

He got home around two hours after me and once he got home, I heard him send Crystal to her room before I turned on the lights and stopped him in his tracks.

"Where'd you two go?"

"I took Crystal to the hospital, something wasn't sitting right with me, and turns out I was correct to take her because her blood pressure was a lot higher than it should be"

"From the knife wound?"

"From that and the fear, she's been trained in self defense and turning off her emotions since she was young, but she's never actually had to use any of it, so of course the second she's in a position she can't get out and she's hurt, her emotions will slowly start to show"

"On another note, are we going to talk about the elephant in the room?"

"About my ex? I'd rather not, but either way its going to be talked about, so lets just get it over with"

"Alright, I know you said you had a toxic ex in high school, is this guy the same person?"

"Yup, I really wish he was finally gone though"

"What did he do to you, cause Crystal said he was doing the same to the kids, but I wanted to know what he did"

"Whenever I was left alone with him, he'd pull at new feathers to hurt me, and if I tried to stop him, he'd beat me, it was a bit different with the kids, he'd tell them what to do, they'd rebel cause they didn't like him, so he'd beat them"

"If the kids didn't like him, why wasn't that a deal breaker for you?"

"I was confused, scared, and emotional, I did a lot of things I didn't want to do, I just took the kids not liking him as them still being attached to you and Artemis copying them"

"Please be honest with your answer for this, but did you consider sending me divorce papers while we were separated?"

"Well, I did for a bit to the point I actually had the papers ready to be signed on my end, but right as I had the pen in my hand, Lotus asked me if you'd be home soon which caused me to stop cause I knew it could hurt them if they never saw you again"

Bryan began to look away as I tried to find what to say, but I could tell he felt guilty, so I just put my hand over his hand.

"I'm not mad, you know that right?"

"I know, but this guilt has been eating me from inside for around five years when I considered it"

"Don't feel guilty, I'd be lying if I said I didn't do things I wouldn't normally think of doing, this is only annoying me because this guy has been trying to break into our home and put a gun to my head before threatening our daughter because she defended her brother"

"But I avoided the signs that he didn't change, I was just so focused on having someone to lean on that I ignored them and let our kids get hurt"

"Bryan, if I was mad at you, you'd know, stop beating yourself up over this and talk to me about what we need to do now"

"I've got nothing, you said he just wanted me and four of the kids, but I wouldn't leave you even if you wanted me dead"

"That's what I thought you'd say, so I figured I'd start by increasing security"

"Not again"

"Look, I'll only have them around the perimeter of the house, none inside, then if we leave, I'll have a few guards follow you and the kids to and form where you need to go just to make sure no one will follow you"

"He said he'd give you six months, when the last month comes, can you be the one following me? If I'm in a situation where I could be kidnapped, I don't want to rely on someone else"

"I can do that for you, after all, you are the person I want the safest"

"Over the kids?"

"They are on the same level as you"

"Good, I don't want to be prioritized over the kids in a life or death situation"

"If you're in a life or death situation with the kids, I'm finding a way to get all of you out regardless"

"I'm glad I have you"

I ended up moving so Bryan was leaning on me while we sat on the couch before I turned on the tv, really just trying to get my mind off things.

We just sat there and eventually fell asleep, not really thinking much about what could happen outside.

After around four hours, I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing, except it wasn't my home phone that I had for everything with Bryan and the kids, it was my work phone.

I looked at the caller ID, thinking it would be something I could deal with when I woke up, but it was River calling me, someone who didn't normally call, so I picked up just hoping Bryan wouldn't wake up.

"Hey, what do you need at like three in the morning that you woke me up?"

"Yeah, someone just came into my office while I was doing late night work and asked me for help getting rid of you, so I wanted to get your side of the story assuming you know about it"

"Yup, I had my interaction today, its Bryan's ex, he wants Bryan because he's apparently too good for me, which he totally is, but he stays with me by choice, I'm not letting someone come in and take my husband"

"I figured it would be something like that, I'll let my men know not to go through with the deal, anything else you feel like I should know?"

"From what I've seen myself, tell your men to keep a better watch on their families, he pulled a knife to my daughter, I know you've been considering adoption with your husband, wait for awhile just in case he gets angry they you won't help"

"Understood, anything you're doing right now?"

"Bryan and I were asleep on the couch, and I'd like to go back to that"

"At least get to bed, anyways I'll leave you be, night"

I hung up the phone and put it back down on the coffee table before I went back to sleep.