Chapter 37 | Answers

July 15

Bryan's POV

A few weeks had passed since someone broke into the apartment, and we still hadn't gotten him to talk much.

I never went into the room when the guards would attempt to interrogate the one person who got in, but I never wanted to go in since Crystal didn't like being alone and I didn't want her in the room.

Inpu had confirmed that they were from a rival mafia that they hadn't had to deal with in a while, so he had no idea they would try anything.

The guards would try and get the guy to talk, but every time they would, he'd just respond saying he wanted to talk to me.

We never knew why, but he clearly didn't know who I was since he'd always refer to me and "the angel" instead of my name.

I was growing tired of not getting any answers, so I had decided that today I'd be in the room, but the guards would ask the questions.

They had started at most an hour ago since I had to make sure Crystal was ok since I couldn't leave her alone, then I went inside.

"He's in the room, now talk, why did you attack my boss' fiancée while he was out of town"

"That dog actually settled down? Never thought I'd see the day, but I still haven't had my request fully fulfilled"

"How so?"

"Simple, I wanted it to be just me and the angel"

"Not gonna happen, my boss has given us strict orders to stay in the room with him"

"Then let him at least do the talking"

The guard in the room just looked at me and I gave a slight nod knowing it was the only way we'd get any answers.

"Alright, I'm talking, why did you enter my home?"

"Simple, my boss didn't realize the mutt was gone, sent me to kill him, and instead I found you and your little one"

"Ok, first off, call my fiancée "mutt" again, I will let the guards kill you once I get all my answers, and second off, if you were sent to kill my fiancée, why didn't you kill me?"

"You being there caught me off guard, it wasn't until your security grabbed me that I realized I was in the correct place, I really just thought I broke into the apartment of a new father"

"Well, the new father stuff wasn't entirely false, my daughter was born that morning, I didn't think I'd need to worry about someone like you at the time, so security wasn't the top concern as I was getting ready to go to bed"

The guy gave me a strange look as Crystal started to grip at my shirt a bit more causing me to hold her a bit closer.

"With how the little one acts, you could've fooled me"

"I don't need to explain how advanced angels, jackals, and kitsunes can be when it comes to early learning"

"My boss would appreciate learning"

"Your boss isn't hear, once I get the answers I need, the guards are killing you regardless, you won't be able to report anything to him"

"Regardless of that, your daughter will just end up being a target like you"

"What do you mean?"

"You chose to enter this life by marrying in, your daughter entered by blood, if I managed to get in with the intent to kill your husband, who's to say you will be safe next time"

The guard in the room could tell I was getting uncomfortable and put a hand on my shoulder to divert my attention.

"Sir, are you done asking questions?"

"Yes, get rid of him, I need to put Crystal down for a nap before she gets cranky"

The guard just nodded and I left the room.

Once I got into my room, I put Crystal in her crib and she quickly fell asleep.

I was hoping I'd be able to use the time to sleep, but I ended up getting a call before I was able to.

Once I grabbed my phone, I saw it was Inpu so I picked up, less upset now that I knew who it was.

"Hey, love, gotten any sleep recently?"

"I was going to before you called, she just fell asleep"

"One month left, then you get to sleep while I watch her during the night"

"If I'm being completely honest, I just can't wait for you to come home"

"Same here, especially since I get to return to you and finally meet our daughter"

"You'll be happy to do it until you have to stay up all night to make sure she doesn't hurt herself in the middle of the night"

"How would she hurt herself when she's just in her crib?"

"She'll figure out a way, never underestimate what a baby can do"

"I won't, on another note, any luck with getting the intruder to talk?"

"Yeah, I had to go in to talk with him and once I finished my questions, he started to say stuff that scared me and I had to remove myself from the room"

"What did he say and did the guards deal with him?"

"The guards did deal with him, but he was saying how Crystal and I would never be safe because of how we both entered the mafia, I don't know what I would have done if I stayed in the room and listened to what he was saying"

"Just remember, no matter who tries to harm either of you, I will protect you both"

"I know, but since we are still on the topic, the guy said he was told by his boss to kill you, the only reason he didn't kill me was because he thought he was in the wrong apartment"

"Not the most surprising reason, but I saw the pin he was wearing and he defiantly was a rival we thought was gone, I'll have a few guards work a bit longer in the day so you're more protected"

"Inpu, I really don't like this, he broke into our home with an intent to kill you, what if another person comes and they end up hurting me or you?"

"Trust me, I know, my love, but until we know what exactly they want and why they are coming for it now, we need the extra security"

"Yeah, but I'd prefer if we didn't need to at all"

"Hey, I come home in a month, once I get home, this will all be over with since no one will dare try anything once I get involved fully"

"I really hope you're right, I really don't want anything to happen to me or Crystal especially since you aren't home with us"

"Love, no matter how far away I am, I'll make sure you're safe"

"I know, I'm going to try and get some sleep since Crystal is sleeping, talk to you tomorrow"

"Talk to you tomorrow, my love"

I managed to get a good hour of sleep before Crystal woke up again, so I woke up and spent the rest of my night taking care of her.