Chapter 71 | The Path To Recovery

Bryan's POV

Even though I should have been at least trying to keep my mind off of Inpu, nothing I did was helping, so I was mostly just disassociated in the house.

Inpu entered a coma from the anesthetic they used to remove the bullet, so he hadn't woken up yet.

The kids had began to start asking me about Inpu, after all, only Crystal knew what happened, but even then, she had completely shut down from what happened.

All I would tell them was that Inpu was stuck at work, but I knew that would only work for so long.

School had started for the kids, so they were out of the house for most of the day, which helped me a bit cause I was constantly on the phone with Magnus about what was going on with my husband.

I was on the phone with Magnus, just working on a few designs while I was distracted, when I got a call from the school.

After I said bye to Magnus, I picked up the call, only to hear that Crystal hadn't been attending school.

Realizing she was avoiding because her mind was filled with everything that happened, I just started to pull up the tracker that was in her car and went where she went.

Once I pulled up, I just saw her sitting on the top of her car, just staring at whatever was in front of her.

"You ok? When the school called and said you didn't show up at all, I got worried"

She didn't respond, just put her ears down.

"Is dad being hurt mentally hurting you"

"That's part of it, having blood on my hands doesn't feel that great as well"

I just let out a sigh before getting next to her and pulling her in for a hug.

"I know it hurts, but I can't have you guys shutting down while I'm barely keeping it together myself"

"I know you want me to be strong, but how can I? I've been learning how to defend myself since I was five, I learned how to shoot a gun when I was 14, but I've never had to use any of it until dad was nearly dead"

"And I wish it wasn't your first experience with self defense, but with someone close being in the mafia-"

"ALL OF MY TRAINING IS BECAUSE OF THE DAMN MAFIA...I just wish I didn't have to know this kind of stuff"

We just sat there, venting to each other to try and calm down, before Magnus called me again.

They didn't talk long, just said that Inpu was awake and that we should get to the office as soon as possible.

Crystal decided to drop off the car before we headed over to the office.

Once we got there, a few people weren't doing their jobs, so Crystal told me to go ahead right before I heard her start curing out people in Egyptian.

I knew she could speak it, after all, Inpu was fluent because of his dad, but I never realized just how much she knew.

Not long after, I got to the room where Inpu was recovering and the second our eyes met, I started to break down.

He was still clearly out of it, so he just cave me a calm smile, which was probably the drugs they had him on.

We didn't share any words, I just walked over to him and leaned over him before I started to cry a bit.

"Honey, why are you crying? I'm fine"

"Because I almost lost you and there wouldn't be anything I could do about it, had I been a bit later, I wouldn't have you with me anymore"

"I thought I was meeting up with someone who owed me money? What do you mean you almost lost me?"

"What do you mean? You got to the place of the person who owed you money right before you lost connection with everyone, next thing I know Crystal finds you with a gun shot wound in your chest nearly dead"

Right as I said that, he gave me a  look of worry, like his mind had finally pieced together what had happened.

He just looked at me in shock for a bit before he tried to pull me into a hug, but his iv wasn't making it easy for him.

"Are you ok?"

"No, someone knows about you and the kids and hates you for being involved with me"

"What are you talking about?"

"When I found the guy, he started to threaten you before he shot me, saying something like you were a fool for falling for me and that you didn't deserve to live anymore because of it"

"Do you know if they know where we live?"

"They probably don't, they seemed more focused on you, so they would've waited a week or two after your trip, so they probably haven't found where we live now"

"I thought we were done with this..."

"So did I, but I promise I'll get this fixed right away, any idea where the guy ran off to?"

"Your daughter killed him"

"What?"

"Yeah, you heard that right, she saw him hovering over your body and shot him before rushing to you"

"That means it was likely a goon then, I'll make a few calls once I'm able to go home, that way we don't have much to worry about for my recovery"

"I just don't want to see you get yourself killed for me"

"I won't, on another topic, how have the kids been at school"

"Other than Crystal not attending out of worry, the other four have been fine"

"Need me to talk to her?"

"No, I think she's more so taking care of your job right now, she was yelling at a few lackies when I came in"

"Was she-"

"Yes she was cursing them out, I heard a mix of different languages though, her being fluent in a few different languages is very confusing sometimes"

"Ain't that the truth, but what have you told the others?"

"All I really said was you were stuck at work because of an issue, I didn't want to cause unnecessary worry"

"That's probably a good idea, it'll be interesting to see how we keep Artemis from jumping on me though"

"That boy is tiny but is so hard to keep off of people he likes"

"And he's ten, I have to keep reminding myself he isn't six due to how small he is"

"The triplets used to be worse"

"How so?"

"Shortly after I left, I went to my mother's house, so I had all three of them in the same house as my mother, they used to tell her a different name then what their actual name was and confused the crap out of her"

"How is that related?"

"Oh, it gets better, since they were small for four, my mom would tell me stuff like she couldn't believe that my two year old triplets were so willing to trick her, that was also they day I learned they told her a different age then they actually were as well"

Inpu let out a small laugh that was clearly painful to him.

Wanting him to get some actual rest, I said bye for a bit before leaving to go home to take care of the kids.