Chapter 75 | Musical Touch

Bryan's POV

Work had been a pain in the ass recently due to clients changing their mind in the middle of their designs.

It got to the point where whenever I got home, I just wanted to fall asleep.

Inpu completely understood my exhaustion and constantly made sure if I was home after him that I was taken care of before I did anything around the house.

Then there were days where I still managed to get home before Inpu which usually resulted in me trying to get stuff done while the kids tried to get me to stop.

Today was one of the days I was home first, or at least, that's what it seemed like until I heard something coming from the basement.

Knowing the basement was where Crystal usually played with her band, I didn't worry much, just was a bit curious because it only sounded like one instrument.

As I went downstairs, I saw her with a pair of soundproof headphones on as she played a set of drums, probably assuming she was alone so she left the door open.

I just stood there, listening to what she played since even though it was more hard core, she was able to make it seem more upbeat and happy.

She seemed to be finishing up when she noticed me standing not far from where she was cause she quickly stopped playing and pulled down her headphones.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to lose track of time and leave the door open"

"Kris, its not an issue, its actually a bit of a relief to hear you play something for the first time in months"

"Yeah, but I still should've kept track of time, anyways, how was your day?"

"Busy as usual, nothing really of interest, how about you, what happened in school?"

"Nothing much, mostly just notes today, I would've went to Diamond's house for band practice, but her dads had plans tonight so we couldn't do much"

"Any idea on what those plans are? Xylo and Cal don't normally make plans"

"Something about their security business, my guess something similar to grandpa's mafia parties"

"Grandpa's parties normally consist of a lot of work talk, wait how do you know what goes on?"

"Dad told me about them, I just assume most casual work meetings are like that"

"Well the ones for my job I've taken you to have been like that so that tracks"

"Anyways, any plans for dinner cause if we want take out I can text dad and he'll pick it up"

"I was hoping to make dinner tonight, I have enough energy to do that, was originally going to ask if you wanted to help me, but you were clearly distracted"

"Not like I have anything to do tonight, give me like ten minutes to clean up"

I just nodded and went upstairs to start grabbing stuff out for dinner.

Crystal joined me not long after and we started to make dinner, just trying to make small conversation as we worked.

"So, dad said you had a chance to go to work with him again on Saturday, do you want to take it?"

"I thought dad didn't work on Saturdays, I guess I can go though, any reason as to why he wants to take me with him?"

"He said something about wanting to take you to another meeting, not sure why, but he said he wanted to get you used to that kind of stuff"

"Dad really wants me to run his mafia, doesn't he"

"I think its a mix of that plus how he was raised, your grandfather wasn't always the kind man you know currently, he used to be a lot more cruel"

"He also gave up on dad when he was little, dad said he was really only raised by grandma and when grandpa did try to teach dad, it wasn't exactly nice"

"Has grandpa ever done anything to you?"

"I've gotten a fair share of threats, we don't really get along cause I have different views on how to run stuff"

"Does dad know?"

"Yup, he was near me last time it happened"

"That's gotta be fun to hear every now and then"

"What's even better is the fact whenever we talk about anything else, he's completely fine with me, he just doesn't like when I bring up mafia stuff"

"Sounds about right, before Inpu and I even started dating, he tried to convince me to marry your father only for me to deny and marry him anyways"

Crystal started to laugh a bit until I heard her let out a tiny yip.

Worried, I quickly turned to her and saw her quickly covering her palm with a paper towel.

"Shit, are you ok, what happened?"

"I just lost my grip on the knife while I was cutting a few veggies, I'll be fine, just need to take a few to heal the cut"

"You aren't skilled enough in your healing yet, let me take a look"

She quickly gave me her hand and I quickly healed it, not wanting her to get an infection.

"Thanks, sorry for being stupid"

"You're fine, accidents happen all the time, this is nothing"

"Does dad make accidents like this?"

"All the damn time, I think the biggest scars I've had to heal have been surgery scars from when he has been shot before"

"Is it bad I believe that?"

"Nope, you father is just insane sometimes"

"That's one way to say it"

"Why do you understand me more than my husband sometimes?"

"I guess cause I'm in the middle, I understand the mafia side, but I also understand the innocent side cause of how I was raised, so I know your point of view I guess"

"Yeah, that tracks, I guess it just means I've done a good job"

"Sure does, I think I'm turning out great"

"Your confidence is something you definitely get from your other father"

We both started to laugh a bit before Crystal went to grab her phone.

She just started to play music from her phone as we continued to make dinner, starting to gently sing in the middle of it.

Eventually, a song started playing that we both listened to when she was much younger, so as she started to sing, I began to join in.

As we continued to sing even after we finished cooking, we didn't even hear as the others came home.

Each of them just looked in where the two of us were and were slowly joining us.

Once Inpu got home, dinner was already done, so we turned off the music before setting the table.

We each continued to laugh the rest of the night, not really thinking much about what could be going on outside of the house.