Chapter 54 | Family Secret

Bryan's POV

As much as I had gotten used to raising five kids alone, it was a difficult task that I couldn't handle well some days, and today was one of those days.

Artemis sometimes had moments where his ears would start ringing and he couldn't get rid of it easily, but he wasn't diagnosed with any hearing issues, so there wasn't much I could do.

The other four had been good about dealing with Artemis if he had a freakout at school, so I wasn't worried about it then, but it always stressed me out at home.

I would have gone to my own mother for help, but she still lived an hour away on the other side of town, so I didn't want to worry her every week with an issue she likely didn't have the answer to.

I was working on dinner when the kids got home, but it was pretty easy for me to see that Artemis had one of his moments either at school or on the way home.

He was hiding behind Crystal since Artemis always felt safe with his big sister, so I figured she was trying to deal with it.

"Long day?"

"He had a minor freak out while we were working on band stuff, I got him to calm down, but I think it was a bad one since he's being extra clingy"

"Did his teachers bring him or was he left to wander the halls again?"

"Take a wild guess, they don't care that he has a ringing in his ear that scares him, most of the teacher just hold him in an elementary classroom only because he can't join the issue class till next year"

"Issue class? Is that what you've started calling it?"

The issue class was a classroom made for students who had a variety of different problems, mostly behavioral issues and those with learning crutches.

Crystal never fit those categories, but she started hanging out with some of the students at lunch so they decided to throw her in there despite the fact she had good grades and was in some pretty high level classes.

The most they would do is pull them from class early at the end of the day and keep them in a room where they could ask any questions they had, but they couldn't leave early.

Most of the teachers who ran it didn't like it either since they would just let the students do their own things most of the time, which is why Crystal ended up starting a band.

As much as I didn't like it because of how some students would get into it, I couldn't switch schools for my kids since if I did, there was a chance media would catch wind of the reason and I'd just be in more trouble that I didn't have the time for.

"The name isn't that flattering, I know, but it isn't a reflection on the students, its a reflection on the system"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm guessing you already delt with the ringing issue"

"Yup, I even called auncle Magnus for a bit of advise"

Magnus knew of why I left and knew Artemis was born, but that was the most they really knew.

I had them over for dinner a few times and they got along with the kids well, but they were only told Magnus was a trusted friend, we didn't want them to know in case one of them decided to follow so they could meet Inpu, because Artemis would be the one to do it.

We had a mutual understanding to keep it a secret from Inpu as well, but I'm not really sure as to why Magnus kept it, they had a ton of reason to tell him, but they never did.

"Well, I suggest getting ready for dinner since Magnus is coming over for dinner tonight, you're my kids so I feel like you at least have to look presentable"

"When do we not? I think we always look amazing"

"Crystal, stop with the sass and go change"

"Do you want just me to do it, or should I convince Artemis and the triplets to do it"

"All of you do it, I know the triplets ran upstairs, but I know they probably got at least a little bit of lunch on them, and Artemis, you look fine, bud, but you always say you want to look nice when people come"

"Alright, come one, Artemis, let's go get ready"

Shortly after the two of them went upstairs, there was a knock at the front door.

I went over to open the door, and seeing it was Magnus, I let them in.

They weren't even inside that long when Atlas came running down and tackled Magnus.

"You're getting better at that, I didn't even see you coming this time"

"I've been learning from watching Crystal train at the gym with her friends"

"Sounds about right for you, go get your other two parts and set the table"

"Yes, papa"

"So, anything new and exciting with you or the kids?"

"My project was accepted for the pageant next month, so I'll probably be asking my mom to stay here with them for a week"

"That sounds fun, you sure you can't take them with you though?"

"Yeah, I know I can't, there isn't enough free time for me to use it as a vacation, why?"

"Inpu is in town until further notice, I called him while I was on my way here, and I think he ran into Crystal this morning while the triplets were faking being sick"

"Oh... I don't know how to feel about that"

"I figured you'd want to know, I'm really not sure how he's found so much in such little time, I swear I told him nothing"

"Its not that I'm upset, its the fact I feel scared even though I know I shouldn't be too scared"

"Well, he never did find out Artemis existed, so that probably doesn't help your case"

"And he looks like he's seven or eight because he's much smaller than the others, so I have a small fear that he finds me, notices Artemis, and thinks I've moved on, especially since I never did anything other than move out, so we're still technically married"

"Either way, I'm sure when the two of you do reconnect, it may be a bit rocky for the first few days, but after that, I'm sure you'll go back to how it was before"

"Thank you for not telling him, I'm really not sure how I really am feeling about meeting with him again, I still love him, but whenever I think about moving back into the apartment, I have a mental breakdown, its kept me up at night"

"Hey, you'll figure it out, want to just eat dinner and talk about it after?"

"Yeah, I think food will probably help my train of thought"

Magnus left soon after we finished dinner since they couldn't stay long because Inpu was in town, so I ended up just having movie night with the kids.

I ended up falling asleep in the middle of it, but I was never moved or woken up, so I assumed they could tell I needed sleep.