Chapter 40 | Average Work Day

Inpu's POV

Bryan and I had been married for a week now, and we were enjoying it a lot.

We decided to wait another month before we go on our honeymoon since we planned it out as a partial family vacation since we didn't want to leave Crystal alone since she was only a few months old.

I had taken a good amount of time to catch up on the normal work, such as paperwork and deals, which wasn't a problem because it was my turn to watch Crystal.

She was in a small play pen that I set up so people who came in couldn't see her unless they looked over my desk and she would have a safe area to build her cognitive functions which seemed to be developing faster than normal.

Most of the day was spent working on paperwork and trying to keep Crystal from grabbing Shade's ears while he was in defense mode, which wasn't a lot, and I didn't expect much to happen today.

But of course, I was wrong.

As I was working on closing up for the day, the receptionist I had for those who wanted to make deals had come in and mentioned that River wanted to have a last minute talk with me regarding something that had happened to his mafia recently.

I sat back down at my desk and put Crystal back in the pen since I really didn't want River to interact with her until she was much older, and had Shade go back into defense, then just waited for River to enter.

He walked in soon after, but instead of asking about what's going on in life first, he got straight to the point, which is never a good sign in our business.

"A squad I sent out last night to collect a debt was attacked last night, the culprit was caught and had the same symbol that the guy who broke into your apartment had, so I figured I'd go to you for answers"

"Did you kill your guy? The one who broke into my home gave enough answers for me to know why my husband was spared and why he broke in, we didn't know why his boss wanted me dead"

"We kept him alive, but isn't answering any questions, all he has said is that he won't talk until he speaks to the angel who managed to stop the other guy with a look"

"So he wants to talk with Bryan? Why?"

"My guess, they think he could be a valuable asset due to the fact he shocked the other attacker to the point the guards could grab him"

"They really don't think about what could have happened, do they?"

"Well, you were out of town and and still managed to send one of their assassins heads back to them"

"I just wish this wasn't happening when I have a baby less than one, we don't want her to understand the mafia cruelty until she becomes at least 16"

"You may not have a choice if this isn't taken care of, especially since they have a new leader"

"They have a new leader? Since when?"

"Since they became more powerful again, we both know the old leader is dead, so now the question is who is the new leader, and why do they want our heads?"

"Great, another thing I didn't want to deal with right now"

I sat back in my desk chair, trying to think of something we could do, when I felt a slight pull at my pant leg.

Crystal had started to make an unhappy face, I knew she could feel the tension in the room, but I didn't really know how to make it easier for her

The tail closest to her started to wag to give her something to play with.