Chapter 35 | Narrowing Time

May 13th

Bryan's POV

I was really ready that I only had a month left with the orb, but was constantly scared about having to take care of an actual baby.

The orb began having practices each night since its meant to build energy before she's actually born, but it still sucks not being able to sleep only to fall asleep once the energy waste is gone.

Most of my time had been spent either working or preparing the nursery and items that will be needed.

Inpu had been sending me tons of gifts and items he wanted Crystal to have once she was born so she'd have something from him.

Since the last month was starting, I had been working from home a lot more since if anything did happen last minute, I wanted to be comfortable.

Flix had been keeping me updated on a few things I had made and asked her to sew, a few of them just being my own things, and they were turning out really nice.

We were on the phone talking since I wasn't in the office but Inpu wasn't able to call and keep me company because he was doing something.

"All I'm saying is that you're screwed once she learns to fly if she's a fast learner like you said you were"

"I'm well aware of that, but I'm taking it one step at a time so I just want to get through her being born"

"If you do that, school is gonna suck for you, its easier to plan it out ahead of time then learn about it last minute"

"How do you know this stuff? Do you have a kid or something?"

"No, but I'm finalizing adoption papers soon, my wife wanted a baby, so we're doing paperwork now so once the little one is born, we don't need to do anything else but care for it"

"You never tell me this stuff, how long have you been prepping for that?"

"About three months, we're adopting from a family friend who's had some personal issues recently, so we are getting the little one"

"Damn, let me know once you get yours, we should let ours have a playdate one day"

"Yeah, it'll be good for them"

"I bet Inpu will just call you if he needs a last minute babysitter"

"He probably will, though our work schedules are very similar so there is a pretty big chance I wont be able to"

"Ain't that the truth, I'll make sure he knows not to call you first, can't promise you wont be a backup though"

"I wouldn't expect anything less, my parents always tell me to expect being a babysitter since I already do it for other friends"

"You really are everyone's go to when it comes to child care"

"Its not the worst gig, I get to hang out with little kids every time, and they do tend to realize that my wings are something that they need to be careful with, so I've never had any issues"

"You're stronger than me when it comes to that, so good on you, but I'll stick with caring for my own kid"

"Suit yourself, I'm about to clock off for the night, so talk to you tomorrow?"

"Maybe, I might not do any work tomorrow"

"Ight, talk to you next time"

As soon as I hung up, I got a call from Inpu so I picked up right away.

"Good evening, lovely~"

"Good evening, my love"

"We have only a month left till you get to meet our girl, then three months until I get to meet our little girl and we get married"

"Yup, you excited?"

"More than you can imagine, once I get home, I'm not letting you go that far from me with the exception of the night before our wedding"

"I can agree to that, I'm just so excited to finally be married and have a family of my own"

"If anyone I have ever known would have deserved it, it's 100% you who does"

"Really? What makes you say that?"

"The fact I've seen you around other people and I know you work hard for your own things"

"Stop...I'm not that impressive"

"Are you sure? You're the only one who's ever dared to stay close to me and listen to how I feel"

"Have your parents ever listened to how you feel? I kinda don't believe that I'm the only one who's listened to you"

"Nope, you're the only one, and I'm extremely gratefully of you because of it"

"Let me guess, because of your parents, you're going to be a better father to Crystal after knowing what its like"

"You know it, the last thing I want is my own child feeling like she can't tell us anything"

"Understandable, I'll add that into the notebook of things we need to remember while she's growing up"

"God, you really are preparing, how much do you have planned?"

"Not that much, just enough to know what to look forward to, nothing on how to deal with it"

"Either way, its stuff to help us when she gets older, let alone if we have more kids in the future"

"Yeah, It'll be good to have even if it repeats information for the other ones"

"Its always good to keep an open mind, you never know, who says we don't just wait till Crystal turned one"

"Anyways, have your parents asked about anything you have planned for once our little one is born?"

"My father keeps asking me if I think she'll be a good mafia leader some day, I keep telling him it'll depend yet he keeps pushing the question"

"Of course, don't worry, once I'm given the chance to stand up to your father when it comes to her, I will, I'm not letting him try to control her life"

"I know you will, you'll have the power to do it too since you'll likely see him next at the wedding"

"Are we sure I won't abuse my new power?"

"You already have your power and from what I've heard, you're using it well"

"That's because you trust me too much, eventually it'll get to my head"

"I refuse to believe that, you can and always be the one I put before anyone else, so I'll let you use your power however you see fit"

"And that is why I always try to avoid using it"

"Anyways, my dad says hi, I should probably go since I need to make my own dinner before it gets too late"

"Alright, I'll talk to you tomorrow, love you"

"Love you too, stay safe"

"Will do"

He hung up and I quickly went to get my nightly routine done.

As I laid in bed, I couldn't help thinking about how soon, I would be a father and husband along with being a mafia boss or at least be mafia protected since I wasn't fully sure how the married in status worked.

While I was nearly asleep, I took a look outside the window and just thought about how I got here in the first place, it could have been so much worse, but it was probably the best thing that could happen to me.