Chapter 77 | Leftover Trail

Inpu's POV

With everything that has happened recently, I've been more on edge on meeting days and I've had Magnus do in person debt collections to clear Bryan's head while everything was working on being cleared up.

I had Crystal with me during a meeting, mostly wanting a second set of ears just in case I missed something, so once we were done, we went back to the location where I was shot to investigate.

The car ride was long, but when we got there, we found something that shocked us.

We were looking down the alley, just trying to find anything, but once we turned a corner, the body of the guy who shot me was still there.

Not wanting anything to happen, I started by throwing a rock at the body, waited a bit, then slowly walking towards it.

After a bit, Crystal walked over, wanting to see if we could get anything from it.

"I'm seeing nothing, you got anything?"

"Maybe, I can see the same pin as the one that was found on the guy who tried to get to the house"

"Speaking of the pin, your connections get anything?"

"Nothing, from what they know, its a new mafia, nothing has been noticeable enough for the police to open a case"

"Great, and all we have is they hate me and are ok with Bryan but want him dead because he's like me"

"People have weird goals"

"I have a feeling its more because of you and your siblings over me and your other father"

"How come?"

"Think about it, the reason they finally went for Bryan was because he left a mafia boss with four young kids and a fifth on the way, I doubt they would bring you guys back, something just doesn't add up"

"You're right, that is weird, what would they have used us for? Artemis was already close to not surviving that night, how long would it have taken us to suffer the same fate if grandma didn't call the cops when papa went silent on the phone"

As soon as she finished her statement, she was grabbed from behind and right before I could pull my gun at whoever grabbed her, I felt a gun pressed up against the back of my head.

Normally, I could easily gain the upper hand, but I was still kneeling near the body, I wasn't in a good stance to and likely would lose if I tried.

The one holding Crystal just took a few steps forward, not letting her go even a little bit.

"Well, well, well, I see this is the husband he talked about"

"The fuck are you talking about?"

"Your husband, Bryan, he used to be mine before I messed up, I almost got him back then your men had to grab him"

"Look, man, I have no idea who the fuck you are, Bryan fell in love with me out of his own will, meaning it was a high chance he wouldn't go back to you regardless"

He didn't respond, he just took out a knife before using it to cut a large gash on Crystal's arm, causing her to let out a scream in pain.

"Leave her out of this, she has nothing to do with what you're talking about, she's a result of me, she didn't ask to be born"

"Oh really? Then tell me why she prevented me from getting back with him when he finally left?"

I didn't respond, I just looked at Crystal who was looking at me with pleading eyes, just trying to figure out what she should do, I knew she could get out, but he had a weapon on him, it was almost too risky for her.

"The fuck do you mean? Bryan never told me anything about what happened while we were separated other than things involving the kids"

"Simple, I noticed Bryan moved back to our home town, so I went to say hi, noticed he had kids, wasn't a deal breaker, then this little bitch caught me when I was disciplining the youngest, that was when I lost Bryan the second time"

"She was a child, she's the most protective because of her youngest brother, she was just doing as she was taught, don't punish her for that, Bryan taught her that, so you'd need to bring it up with him"

The second I brought up Bryan taught her that, the guy put the knife up to her neck.

"I'll give you one chance, you have six months to bring Bryan to me, along with the other four kids, and in return you get to keep your daughter, and if you don't, I'll just go to your house and...take care of this issue my way"

"Am I at least able to know your name? If I have to make a deal with you, I should know your name" 

"The names Jakey, now I request you hurry home and figure out what you need to get in order so you can make this task easier on yourself"

He snapped his fingers and I felt the gun removed from the back of my head.

As soon as the guy behind me was next to this Jakey person, he dropped Crystal and she fell to the ground, just trying to hold her arm close to not hurt herself more.

I quickly ran over to her, allowing the other two to get away, and just picked her up so I could get her patched up.

We ended up just heading back to the office cause the wound needed stitches.

As much as we didn't want to, we had to call Bryan and tell him what happened, who recognized the name the second I mentioned it.

I just wanted to go home, but I still had some paperwork I had to get done, so it wasn't easy for me to leave early.

"You doing ok?"

"My arm hurts like a bitch, but I'll survive"

"That guy, what did he do to Bryan?"

"He was toxic to papa in high school when they dated, but they broke up and became friends, then when papa took the five of us, they tried dating again cause papa was confused and lost, but they broke up again when his toxic traits were instead used on us"

"I'd be more mad, but those ten years were a mess of emotions, I really don't blame him for doing that, I'm just glad you guys turned out relatively ok"

"How much longer are we going to be here? I really just want to go home" 

"There's only like three hours until I have my last meeting for the day, if it gets bad we have some powerful pain killers in the med bay or I can call Bryan to pick you up"

"I'll call papa to pick me up, I'd like to stay longer, but I just want to take a nap"

"Go ahead, I don't blame you"

Crystal ended up calling Bryan not long after and only ended up staying for another hour.

I finished up my work after what felt like forever and just went home so I could try and talk through this with Bryan.