Chapter 89 | Information Check

Inpu's POV

Time was running out and I still had nothing.

Even when I was at home, I was still focusing on my work, which was worrying Bryan.

I kept my promise so I was staying with him all hours of the day, so some days I'd go to work with him and other days he'd be at work with me.

As we were just sitting in my office going over anything we had, someone came running in with a folder of what seemed to be everything we were looking for.

Bryan started to take a look at it while I decided to question the guard.

"How accurate are these?"

"We've done our own research to try and match this stuff, and it all completely adds up, but we still don't know if its a trap"

"Then tell everyone to get ready and pull up the location, I'll be there shortly"

The guard nodded before leaving the room.

I turned to Bryan who looked slightly upset that I had to go.

"Look I know I said I'd be by your side the entire thing, but we need to check this"

"Don't apologize, if this is all accurate and its not a trap, this would be great for you?"

"But I feel bad, this is the first time I'm breaking this promise"

"You have the information you need to finish this, you go there and make sure this isn't a trap, take it as a win and beat him"

"Have I ever told you I like it when you talk serious~"

"You can remind me when this is done, so give me a kiss now and you can make it known later"

I gave Bryan a rough kiss before heading to the armory to get my gear.

We drove to the location while making sure we weren't being followed.

About 20 minutes of the search was on foot through the woods, but we eventually reached an abandoned cabin that seemed like it was ransacked.

Everyone had their guns out, just trying to make sure nothing would jump out at us, but something caught me off guard.

There was a small knife, one that I knew everyone in my office had if someone ever broke in.

Something was off about it, it was identical to the one I got for Crystal, but this one didn't have the engraving in it that hers had.

The forest smell was really strong on the knife, so I couldn't get the smell of whoever used it, but I did notice something nearby that told me the info wasn't a trap.

There was a pin stuck on some black cloth, but the pin was the same sign that Jakey had on his men.

There wasn't any blood on the cloth or the pin, but it was clearly stuck on some broken wood, but it made the room so much easier to tell what happened.

Its likely that whoever used this place for whatever they were using it for had been ran out of the building, likely upon finding out the information, so they tried to destroy it so they had nothing, not knowing they already sent the information.

From what was left over, we couldn't find any names, but they had some really well developed tech often used in spy work, meaning they could have been spying on them for weeks up to months.

I had a few people gather what was left over so they could try to go through what was on it while I just started to make my way back to my car so I could pick up Bryan and go home.

The car ride home started fairly quiet, but Bryan could tell I was making plans in my mind.

"So, what's the current plan?"

"Nothing yet, we can't go in guns blazing cause you want him alive, so its likely a time we need to be sneaky"

"The number of them also doesn't help" 

"How do you-?"

"I read the files while you were out, I figured if I can't go out in person, I might as well try to read up and get an idea so you can go in and claim its yours"

"And what did you come up with?"

"The building is large and easy to walk in and out, so the only reason you can tell someone is part of them is with the pin, and given the day and time you plan on going, there will be only about 50 people out of the 500 or so"

"Why's that?"

"Jakey doesn't know how the mafia is meant to work, almost everyone with him has family, and they plan on using next week to let everyone with family go out for the day"

"And the people still staying are new, aren't they?"

"Exactly, its fool proof as long as you know what you're doing"

"You are so smart for someone who doesn't do any of the actual mafia work"

"I know, but my worry needs to shift to taking care of the kids for that day"

"Why is that?"

"If anyone can reach a phone and alert anyone else, who's to say we stay safe after that"

"We have hackers, we can always have the phones and any form of messaging turned off before we go in"

"Burner phones?"

"Take out the Wi-Fi tower, people in town will be too worried sending people to get it fixed so there is an easy way to cause traffic cause most jobs will get out until it comes back on"

"And what will you do once it is all over?"

"What do you mean by that?"

"Well, assuming you keep him captive until either someone comes to get him or he gives up on everything, after that you are going to have about a week of free time as rest"

"Once we have him captive, I plan to ID everyone we have to kill or will take as well, these people have clearly been doing it for a while but he hasn't, so we alert the other mafia boss, then once everything is done, well, lets just say you will be in my office that day and you'll find out how I start that week quickly"

"Then I can't wait to find out, any idea on what I should do if the kids decide to go out that night?"

"Make sure they know to be safe and have their weapons on them, I don't want them to get hurt"

"Yes, sir"

We stayed quiet for a few minutes before Bryan started up a random conversation that went on the rest of the car ride.

When we got home, it was like everything at work was just another thing to worry about tomorrow, and since I didn't have that feeling for a good while, it felt great.