Chapter 74 | Picking Up The Pieces

Inpu's POV

Ever since the kids found out I was a mafia boss, they each seemed a lot more distant.

I honestly expected it, after all, I pretty much lied to them to keep a secret.

Artemis, Lotus, and Femi all understood and just needed time to adjust to the new knowledge, but Atlas seemed to be the most scared by it.

He didn't want to be left alone with me for even a minute, so whenever I was home, If Bryan wasn't home with him, it was his friends or siblings with him.

I tried not to overstep his boundaries, so usually I'd be in another room while he was doing whatever, but that wasn't going to be the case today.

The other kids had to attend to other activities and Bryan had to work late due to needing to pick up slack, so once Atlas' friends left, it would just be the two of us.

Once I got home, I saw an unfamiliar car pull in after me, so I waited to see who would get out.

Ashara ended up leaving the car and walked over to me.

"Hey, man, thought we didn't have another meeting until next week"

"We don't, I'm here to pick up my daughter, I didn't realize your son was who she was hanging out with"

"Guess I can say the same, anything new with your mafia?"

"Kaiba has had to step in more as of recently due to most of my goons trying to be stupid when I have them come to my house, but otherwise we're doing fine"

"Let me guess, a lot of conversations about the future of your mafia?"

"Spot on, I've mostly just been trying to prepare Ember so she doesn't have to worry about learning everything on the fly"

"She's only 14, don't worry about everything now, also how did she find out? Did you tell her when she was young or let her figure it out"

"I had her constantly come with me to work, so she saw everything when she was young, why?"

"Someone broke in recently and the other four were told by the thief that I was mafia, and of course, my kids have been more distant recently, but Atlas has had it the worst"

"He's the youngest of your triplets, right?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Think about it, when the triplets were born, didn't Atlas have the most anxiety?"

"He did, you don't think his anxiety is the reason he's not taking it well, do you?"

"I do, he had to deal with watching Bryan getting into trouble multiple times while you weren't there, plus he probably thought poorly upon the mafia cause of it, so its probably scary and confusing for him"

"That didn't even cross my mind, how did you remember Atlas had anxiety as a baby? I thought I only mentioned it once"

"You did, but since Kaiba was close to having Ember then, the thought remained because it wasn't normal for a baby from what you said, so we wanted to watch for it"

"Yeah, that sounds about right, I'll try and talk to him about it"

"It sounds like  you should, on another note, Kaiba would like to invite everyone in your family to dinner soon, nothing fancy, just a normal dinner party"

"Sounds good, tell me more about it when we have our meeting, that way we have more time to plan based on schedules"

Ashara just nodded before he told Ember they had to go and the two left.

Atlas just tried to get up and go to another room, but I stopped him before we could so we could talk.

"Look, I know you don't want to talk to me as of recently, but we really should talk"

"What is there to talk about?"

"For one, why you've been avoiding me"

He just went quiet, not knowing what to respond with.

"Please just talk with me, I don't want to feel like I've done something wrong cause you haven't told me something"

"If Crystal started to learn self defense when she was little, why didn't I get to learn, I could've helped defend papa, but I couldn't cause I didn't know how to"

"That one is on Bryan, I did plan on having each of you learn self defense, but when papa left, I couldn't help control that part, but my guess, when papa got her lessons, he could really only afford to teach one of you professionally"

"Then can you teach me? You'd probably know about what I want to learn"

"How about this, I promised another mafia boss I'd help him train his daughter, she's a friend of yours, so how about when she is doing her training, I bring you with me so you can learn as well"

"Deal! If I can learn how to defend myself and those around me, I feel like I'd actually be able to be helpful"

"Now that that's out of the way, anything interesting at school?"

"My friends are finally in school, I've been spending a lot of time with them"

"Trust me, I know, anyone you have a crush on?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"Just curious, I do want to know if my oldest son has managed to snag someone"

"There is one guy, he's really sweet and kind, but I think he's out of my league"

"What's his name?"

"Flyn"

"I don't think I'd oppose that, someone who used to be mafia before he was arrested and took a plea deal had a son named Flyn, so assuming its the same guy, I say go for it"

"So you want me to try dating him because he was also born into the mafia?"

"No, all I'm saying is that if the two of you were to start dating, I wouldn't mind cause I wouldn't have to worry about getting along with his parents"

"Dad-"

"You know I'm messing with you, but seriously, I want you to be happy with what you do in life, I don't want you to follow in my footsteps because you feel like you have to"

"Did you follow in grandpa's footsteps?"

"Not because I wanted to, the only one I hope follows me is Crystal, but even then, she said she'd want to run the mafia from the shadows, but every leader needs a second in command"

"I'm not going to say if I'm going to be the second in command now"

"And I don't expect you to, there is a lot of stuff that needs to happen in the future anyways, so you have time to think"

"What do you think my path will be?"

"Knowing you, you'll end up getting a basketball scholarship and study something you like, get a degree, then pick whatever job you want to go into"

"Will you be proud of me even if I decide not to follow a path you set up for me?"

"Atlas, as long as you feel happy with what you've done in life, I will always be proud of you"

The two of us ended us just going to the beach since Atlas wanted to play some basketball while we waited for the others to get back.

Bryan was the first one to get back, so he ended up watching us while we played until the others got back so we could eat dinner.

Author's Note: Ember is not my character, she belongs to