Chapter 11

"Tang Ning?"

Tang Ning's bewildered mind took three seconds to process before he suddenly remembered Old Liu, the driver of the funeral car.

"Are you the one driving the funeral car?" Tang Ning asked.

Old Liu pushed the car with a body bag outside and, with a faint acknowledgment, Tang Ning quickly followed beside him. "Excellent, Master Liu! I have something to ask you!"

Old Liu didn't glance sideways; the cold light in the corridor illuminated him lifelessly, giving Tang Ning the eerie feeling that he was facing a walking corpse.

Tang Ning's pace slowed, and he looked at Old Liu's shadow once again. Confirming the presence of a shadow, he lifted his head, meeting Old Liu's intense gaze.

Old Liu continued pushing the car, his head turned towards Tang Ning, eyes fixed on him without blinking. Tang Ning felt a spine-chilling sensation under the unrelenting stare and stammered, "Did you have a fever yesterday?"

"Yes."

As Old Liu approached the elevator, Tang Ning feared he might miss it if Old Liu kept looking at him. However, Old Liu confidently stopped the car at the elevator entrance, his eyes still fixed on Tang Ning. "What do you want to ask?"

Tang Ning felt a bit afraid of Old Liu. He was always wary of people who seemed difficult to approach.

"My friend and I came to see you yesterday, knocking on your door, but you didn't answer," Tang Ning involuntarily used a respectful tone.

"I took medicine and slept, didn't hear the knocking," Old Liu replied indifferently.

The elevator door opened, and Old Liu pushed the car inside. Tang Ning followed closely, like a small tail. "Oh, I see. Are you feeling better now?"

As the elevator's display continuously changed, the confined space made Tang Ning uneasy. Old Liu, who seemed to be in his fifties or sixties, with age spots on his face, appeared almost lifeless in the dim light, invoking thoughts of corpse spots. Tang Ning nervously asked, "On the night before yesterday at midnight, did your funeral car pick up a passenger during the journey?"

Old Liu's eyes, clouded with turbidity, seemed ready to pop out. His expression turned unpleasant as he sharply raised his voice, "I don't know what you're talking about!"

Startled by Old Liu's sudden hostility, Tang Ning took a step back, his back against the cold elevator. He realized there was no way to retreat.

The elevator doors opened at this moment.

Without even looking at Tang Ning, Old Liu pushed the car out.

Hesitating for a moment, Tang Ning still followed. Carefully trailing behind Old Liu, he suddenly turned around. Old Liu, with his eyes fixed on Tang Ning, warned, "If you don't want to die, don't follow me."

In that moment, Tang Ning suddenly understood why he was so afraid of Old Liu's eyes.

Ghost infants also stared at him with that same gaze.
Cold, ruthless.

Tang Ning stood frozen, watching Old Liu's figure disappear as he pushed the cart.

When Old Liu completely vanished from Tang Ning's sight, he regained the strength to move. He didn't want to linger in the hospital, quickly leaving the premises. Standing under the bright sun, he felt a bit better.

Taking a deep breath, Tang Ning retrieved Lu Yingxing's phone from his pocket. The phone had obvious cracks, and it wouldn't turn on. He decided to go to a nearby phone repair shop. The owner said it would take over an hour to fix the phone, so Tang Ning left it there temporarily. He planned to visit the funeral home and inquire about Old Liu's background.