Chapter 84

With the mention of Ji Liangyun, inside the game, Han Ankang and Lin Guijing continued to guard the memorial hall, while Lin Yun and Tang Ning went to knock on the villagers' doors late at night.

At the outset, when Lin Yun knocked on the door, there was no response for quite some time, as if it were an empty house. Lin Yun turned around to look at Ji Liangyun.

Ji Liangyun was still lazily sprawled over Tang Ning, seemingly unable to muster interest in anything else, except for every part of Tang Ning's body, which he found extremely fascinating. Every now and then, he buried his face into Tang Ning's neck, indulging in deep inhalations.

Tang Ning was itching badly; he used his elbow to nudge Ji Liangyun, who chuckled and said, "Stop messing around," then continued to ardently sniff at Tang Ning's scent, so captivated that Tang Ning even suspected Ji Liangyun wanted to lick his neck.

—Who the hell is causing a ruckus!

Furrowing his brows, Tang Ning suddenly remembered that whenever he went to cuddle the cat, he would turn over the soft, warm, happy creature in the same manner, burying his entire face into its snowy white belly. If the cat playfully tried to struggle with its hind legs, he would also dizzily mumble, asking it not to fuss around.

Oh, if only at that moment, the cat let out a coquettish meow. Even though he knew that meow was a sign of scolding, he would instead be intoxicated even more.

He even wished the cat would meow louder.

"Is this house not opening? Should we try another one?" Lin Yun asked.

The tear marks at the corners of Tang Ning's eyes had not yet dried, but his cheeks had already flushed slightly with embarrassment. He discreetly stepped on Ji Liangyun's toes, prompting Ji Liangyun to finally deign to raise his head. His cold gaze skipped over Lin Yun and landed on the tightly closed wooden door. He calmly said, "Kick the door open."

Lin Yun already had a pent-up frustration in his heart; although he appeared composed, there was no restraint in the force he exerted with his feet. He directly kicked the locked wooden door with a loud bang.

The room was pitch black.

Lin Yun switched on his flashlight, only to see a frail, hunched old lady sitting at the head of the bed, holding an equally frail infant in her arms. Both pairs of eyes were exposed to the glaring light of the flashlight without blinking.

The old lady and the infant, under the intense light, didn't even blink, exuding an indescribable eeriness.

Tang Ning took a small step back, leaning into Ji Liangyun's embrace.

The old lady still held onto the infant in her arms. She was dressed in filthy clothes, seated on a bed covered in grime, her demeanor cold and her eyes ominous. There was nothing in the house that seemed fit for an infant to consume, which explained why the baby in her arms was so emaciated.

"I have something I want to inquire about with you," Lin Yun spoke up.

As Lin Yun spoke, the old lady's infant in her arms shifted its eyeballs, staring fixedly at Lin Yun, its mouth making a motion as if to suckle.

The old lady silently inserted her own bony fingers into the infant's mouth. Tang Ning noticed that everything else about the old lady was dirty, but her fingers were clean, almost unnaturally pale, as if soaked in some liquid, causing the flesh to almost detach.

"Do you happen to know an old lady who enjoys listening to operas? She sings the Yu Opera 'Hua Mulan,'" Lin Yun didn't describe the appearance of the ghostly old lady, as he couldn't remember it himself after Tang Ning pulled him out of the illusion. All he remembered was that her voice was unpleasant.