Chapter 15

The coffin hitting the ground is a bad omen, and whispers circulate around.

Despite the eight coffin bearers changing the rope, they still couldn't lift the coffin when they tried together.

Discussions within the funeral procession grew louder, with accusations that the coffin bearers only took money without exerting effort. A young coffin bearer, impatient with those making snide remarks, retorted, "You try lifting it! See if you can move something so heavy-"

Before he could finish his complaint, an older coffin bearer stopped him.

In the act of lifting the coffin, mentioning words like "heavy" or "weighty" is taboo.

The older coffin bearers spoke with Landlord Brother, who wore a grim expression. He then found eight young and strong individuals from the funeral procession, making a total of sixteen to carry the coffin.

This time, even though they lifted it and walked a few steps, the rope broke again.

The dull thud weighed heavily on everyone's hearts. Those who came to help lift the coffin were scared and refused to assist further.

In the end, the Landlord's family had to abandon the local traditional way of carrying the coffin for the funeral. They hired people to place the coffin in the hearse, which then drove to the funeral home for cremation.

Tang Ning sat in the accompanying convoy, secretly calling Boss Hao, explaining the unusual events during the funeral. Boss Hao comforted Tang Ning, instructing him to accompany the procession all the way. After the burial, Tang Ning should take a handful of soil from the grave of Landlord Yingxing to resolve the calamity.

Tang Ning nodded vigorously, realizing halfway that Boss Hao couldn't see him. He lowered his voice and agreed.

Before Landlord Yingxing's body was sent for cremation, people could pay their respects in the farewell hall. Tang Ning stood in the hall, filled with flower wreaths, like everyone else. The atmosphere in the hall was solemn and sorrowful.

For some reason, Tang Ning always felt someone was watching him. He turned his head to look around, and everyone was in black clothing, expressionless or sorrowfully gazing at the memorial photos. No one seemed to be looking at Tang Ning.

However, that feeling of being observed became stronger, to the point of being eerie. Tang Ning felt extremely uneasy, suspecting his nerves were overly sensitive. He took deep breaths to calm himself.

After a while, Tang Ning got used to the spine-chilling unease. Like others, he raised his head and looked at the black and white memorial photo of Landlord Yingxing.

In the photo, Landlord Yingxing had no expression. His black eyes stared directly at Tang Ning. Dressed in a suit, he lacked the mischievous demeanor Tang Ning remembered, appearing cold as if he were a different person.

Staring at the memorial photo surrounded by white chrysanthemums, Tang Ning felt a sense of otherworldly separation.

Finally enduring the mourning period, the staff took Landlord Yingxing's body for cremation. Tang Ning breathed a sigh of relief, but even as he turned to leave, that feeling of being stared at lingered.

Tang Ning couldn't resist turning back, not seeing anyone watching him. There was only the photo of Landlord Yingxing hanging behind him.

Perhaps, he thought, he had been mentally stressed recently, making him overly suspicious. Tang Ning shook his head, walking towards the left side of the hall. Just as he was about to leave, at the last moment, Tang Ning inexplicably turned back to take another look.