Chapter 69

Tang Ning slightly widened his eyes, gazing at the visage before him—exceptionally haggard and pale, yet softly concealing a certain tenderness. Even when faced with such inquiries, there was no hint of coercion in the other's tone, as if every answer would be wholly accepted.

"I-I like the present you," Tang Ning couldn't shift his gaze from Ji Lianyan's, those eyes profound as if pulling out all the secrets tucked away in his heart.

"Do you like me when I'm unwell?" Ji Lianyan leaned in closer, dark eyes akin to a mysterious night, dissolving Tang Ning's thoughts and defenses.

"Don't like," Tang Ning startled himself with his candor. He hadn't intended to speak ill of Ji Lianyan behind his back; it wasn't the right thing to do.

Yet, Ji Lianyan remained gentle and encouraging, fingers lightly tracing his cheek. "Why don't you like?"

Under such accepting eyes, Tang Ning couldn't help but continue, "He's bad, hypocritical, frightening—lacks your gentleness—"

"Ji Lianyan" stared at Tang Ning with extraordinary tenderness. The most lethal form of a gentle touch, perhaps, was in such a gaze.

But Tang Ning, for some reason, suddenly found it hard to continue. A shiver ran through his soul, as if fearing something.

In the silent room, a quiet hush prevailed.

"Ji Lianyan" tenderly caressed Tang Ning's eye sockets with his fingers, trailing over the long lower lashes, seemingly aiming a bit higher to touch the translucent and delicate eyeballs. Tang Ning involuntarily blinked, holding his breath.

Watching the young man before him curl his lips, speaking slowly and gently, "Why stop talking?"

The elusive emotions floating gracefully in the air resembled a skilled army on the move, each step with bladed boots trampling through Tang Ning's heart, systematic and decisive. Only his heart drummed, unable to organize a defense.

They say when the heart flutters, it beats exceptionally fast. Is this what it feels like to be moved?

Tang Ning swallowed, his throat trembling as he asked in a hushed voice, "Are you hungry? I..."

The deep, swirling black eyes grew even more profound, like the vast night sky. A crimson tongue licked across pale lips. "Ji Lianyan" bent his eyes, a subtle smile forming. "Sure."

The air that had solidified seemed to flow again, granting Tang Ning a sense of escape, as if the crisis had passed. Tang Ning took a deep breath, inhaling the fresh air.

No wonder he felt so stifled just now; he was too absorbed in watching Ji Lianyan, completely forgetting to breathe.

Tang Ning gently pushed Ji Lianyan away, meeting the expectant gaze. Tang Ning hesitated, "I haven't made noodles before, but I saw instant noodles in the kitchen—"

After a moment, Ji Lianyan stared straight at him.

"Don't worry, I looked up how to make instant noodles taste really good!" Tang Ning reassured confidently, and he had indeed researched it.

"Are you feeling better now?" Tang Ning, too nervous to venture into the kitchen alone, whispered, "Let's cook together."

Ji Lianyan gazed deeply at him, then slowly stood up, a seemingly heavy movement even in its simplicity.

Tang Ning quickly supported Ji Lianyan, ensuring, "Don't worry, I'll do everything myself. You just need to watch."

Ji Lianyan responded with a simple "Mm."

Even a simple "Mm" seemed particularly weary.

Tang Ning was aware that serving instant noodles as the first meal for his newlywed husband wasn't ideal, but fearing a culinary disaster, he figured instant noodles would be tastier. Thinking this, Tang Ning cautiously flashed a pleasing smile at Ji Lianyan, whispering to his ear, "Next time, I'll make something delicious for you, I promise."