Chapter 74

Tang Ning slept for a while.

When he woke up two days later, Ji Lianyun had breakfast ready by his bedside. In Tang Ning's still groggy state, Ji Lianyun helped him wash his face, rinse his mouth, and naturally fed him.

Ji Lianyun performed this routine with ease, enjoying it. Tang Ning, still half-asleep, initially thought he was dreaming because he had dreamt similar scenarios before—dreams where Ji Lianyun took care of him all day, except this time there were two Ji Lianyuns.

"What's with the two mouths?" he mumbled.

At that moment, Tang Ning suddenly became alert.

As the spoon touched his lips, Ji Lianyun's voice was calm and gentle as he coaxed, "Come on, open up."

Tang Ning wanted to refuse, but as soon as he opened his mouth, the spoon was in, and the warm liquid filled his mouth—it was sweet and comforting hot porridge, very appetizing.

"You'll have a busy day today," Ji Lianyun said softly. "It's the mourning period for three days, and many guests will need your reception."

Mourning period?

In the real world, friends and family come to mourn in front of the deceased, but this was a game simulation. Would those coming to mourn be mingling with the dead?

"Dong! Dong!" The dull sound of a drum could be heard nearby, breaking the morning silence. Tang Ning's eyelashes fluttered in response to the drumming, and his confused gaze landed on Ji Lianyun's face, still not fully illuminated by the dawn outside the window.

No words were needed; Ji Lianyun understood his confusion.

"This is the mourning drum. Those who come to mourn must knock twice before entering the memorial hall." Ji Lianyun scooped up another spoonful. "Finish your porridge quickly; many people will come today, and as the eldest grandson, you cannot be absent."

Tang Ning quickly ate while picking up his fully charged phone. The group chat was filled with players' messages. There were no casualties reported last night. Han Ankang tagged Tang Ning, asking if the current Ji Lianyun was a ghost or a human.

Tang Ning quickly replied, "I think he's human."

Han Ankang almost instantly responded, "Are you sure?"

Tang Ning suddenly felt unsure again.

Especially when he saw Han Ankang's next message: "Last night when Ji Lianyun saved you, he was tiptoeing."

In that moment, Tang Ning's scalp tingled, and he nervously glanced at Ji Lianyun, forgetting to swallow the porridge in his mouth.

"What's wrong?" Ji Lianyun asked softly.

For a moment, Tang Ning couldn't distinguish whether this was Ji Lianyun or the ghostly groom. The ghostly groom could impersonate Ji Lianyun, but Ji Lianyun shouldn't be able to impersonate the ghostly groom.

If the current Ji Lianyun is indeed the real Ji Lianyun, then what he says should also be true. Ji Lianyun married him for two reasons: one, the fortune teller said he wouldn't die of illness, and two, Ji Lianyun fell in love with him at first sight.

That's why Ji Lianyun wants to be with him.

But what about the ghostly groom?

What does the ghostly groom want from him?

He often feels weak in this simulation, especially when interacting with Ji Lianyun, as if his vitality is being drained away, somewhat like the folklore of ghosts sucking away one's vitality.