Chapter 77

Ji Lianyun's words were so gentle yet firm, likening him to a clam, yet his tone was as if he held the world's most precious pearl in his hands.

Tang Ning bit down hard on his lower lip, so hard that it seemed he might break through the skin, his fingers gripping the bedding, knuckles turning white from the extreme pressure.

"So, please don't speak of yourself like that."

Tang Ning still kept his eyes tightly shut, blood seeping from his bitten lip, mingling with tears running down his face, like a damp rose covered in thorns, only to wound himself.

Ji Lianyun leaned down, gently embracing Tang Ning.

Soft, sobbing, Tang Ning whimpered softly.

Tears clung to his eyelashes, blood drops fell on his lips, his face pale with a hint of pink, portraying a fragile and vulnerable sight. Ji Lianyun couldn't control himself and kissed Tang Ning's rosy lips.

His high nose pressed against Tang Ning's nose.

As Tang Ning's teeth, tightly clenched on his lip, retreated as if startled, his closed eyes opened in a momentary surprise. Before Tang Ning could react to what had happened, his left pillow sank slightly – Ji Lianyun's elbow pressing into the spot.

Ji Lianyun's body was close, but not entirely touching, as if afraid of causing pain to Tang Ning.

A drop of blood appeared in the center of his pale lips, from Tang Ning's lip.

His tongue swept over the bloodstain, Ji Lianyun's eyes curved gently, whispering, "Sweet."

Tang Ning stared blankly at Ji Lianyun.

How could blood be sweet? But Ji Lianyun's expression was earnest.

With a rosy tongue peeking out from his lips, Tang Ning tentatively licked his own wounded lip – salty and bloody. Just a touch made him wince in pain.

"Now you know it hurts?" Ji Lianyun leaned in closer, gently blowing on Tang Ning's lips as if to alleviate the pain.

The warm breath brushed against Tang Ning's jaw and neck, causing him to shiver. He turned his head, a blush creeping onto his ears.

"This spot is hard to medicate." Ji Lianyun murmured softly, "Next time it hurts so much, bite your hand, okay?"

Tang Ning still didn't speak, his profile exquisite to the extreme, especially with his curled eyelashes adorned with a tear. Ji Lianyun, upon seeing this, had to muster all his self-control not to impulsively kiss him then and there.

Kissing his eyes only brought forth more tears.

His breath grew heavy, falling disorderly on Tang Ning's face, tickling him slightly. He turned his head, frowning at Ji Lianyun who was so close.

"Itchy," he finally spoke again, his hoarse voice stirring an itch in the listener.

Ji Lianyun was about to move away, but the person lying on the bed suddenly said, "Hold me."

Ji Lianyun paused, as if unable to believe what he had just heard.

With tear-stained eyes, Tang Ning looked at him and spoke softly again, "Just hold me."

Ji Lianyun immediately bent down and embraced Tang Ning, his movements extremely gentle. But the person in his arms seemed to find his embrace too light and leaned into him.

Heartbeats quickened at that moment.

He wanted to be closer, not just physically, but to delve into the softness and delicacy within. He longed for the day when Tang Ning would smile at him with complete reliance, confiding every worry and joy without reservation.