Chapter 104

The situation had completely spiraled out of control.

A frenzied townsman had grabbed the mayor by the collar, and groups had stormed into the mayor's house, loudly seeking to find Zhang Yun. Youngsters attempted to intervene, but when someone shouted, "Didn't you see?! It was because of you lot, the little rabbits who hadn't even grown your fur, meddling around, that we scrapped the ritual! Before we stopped the ritual, nothing like this ever happened in our town."

The young people couldn't retort; the events of the past few days had far exceeded their understanding, with the bizarre corpses after the bridge explosion, Zhang Shunping and Luo Chuxue's absurd methods, and the old man and Zhang Shunping's miraculous resurrection.

Could it be that the older generation was right? That only by proceeding with that inhumane ritual could the town truly find peace?

The mayor still vainly tried to stop them, but his lone voice was too feeble, instantly drowned out by the vast sea of denunciations from the townspeople.

"What do we do now?" Tang Ning typed in asking.

With so many people searching for Zhang Yun, even if Zhang Yun hid with utmost care, he would easily be found. Tang Ning didn't know whether the ritual could truly suppress the river god's malevolence. He was naive, always struggling to understand the twists and turns.

He only knew the Zhang Yun he knew was a kind, overly timid boy who would bravely dive into water to save a stranger, forget to change out of his drenched clothes while taking care of him, and show anger for the first time because "he was spied on."

Had Zhang Yun really done something wrong?

If Zhang Yun was an incarnation of the river god's evil, he at least would be a villain in the conventional sense, right? Yet, the only "fault" Zhang Yun had was a disease he was born with.

"Wait a moment," Lin Yun said softly. "The ritual can't be conducted so quickly."

They had only heard from the old man that, besides identifying the incarnation of the river god's malevolence, the ritual also took time to decide who should be punished.

More importantly, it wasn't just a few people in the town who were in a state of extreme anger, but hundreds. They, a mere handful of individuals, couldn't oppose the power of the crowd. In many cases, players in the game world are just passersby; the main line given to them by the system is merely to survive. Those players who can change the situation and have a significant impact can earn higher ratings.

Tang Ning also knew that being anxious wouldn't help at all. If he hadn't used his skill for the day, perhaps he could sing a song to make everyone freeze, then temporarily escape with Zhang Yun, other than that, he could only wait.

Tang Ning suddenly paused.

He touched his throat, looked at Lin Yun and Shao Mingwei beside him, who appeared exceptionally calm at the moment. However, Tang Ning still remembered their terrible expressions just moments before, an undeniable obsession, even the slow-witted Tang Ning could sense their change.

Tang Ning's heart suddenly started to beat faster, his mind a bit "chaotic," with many strange and uncertain thoughts flashing through. Tang Ning cautiously typed, "How do you feel about what I said?"

He showed this question to Lin Yun and Shao Mingwei.

Shao Mingwei gently said, "It's heartwarming."

Lin Yun lifted his gaze to look at this hypocritical NPC, opened his mouth, but didn't say the somewhat terrible truth, instead hypocritically said, "It sounds nice, I want to hear more."