Chapter 68

The raging flames leaped from the black-and-white memorial photo to the black curtain bearing the character "奠." The fire roared, consuming everything on the spiritual table, and smoke filled the air. People shouted "fire rescue," and chaos ensued as someone took off their clothes to beat the flames in the chaotic memorial hall.

Ji Lianyun was choked by the thick smoke, and he embraced Tang Ning, leading him outside. Tang Ning, startled by the unexpected turn of events, didn't know what to do. He instinctively looked towards the blazing area, where the icy memorial photo was devoured by flames. A corner of the photo burned, and the old man's sinister gaze continued to fixate on Tang Ning.

Whether it was Tang Ning's imagination or not, through the flickering firelight, the memorial photo seemed to undergo slight changes, its eerie gaze shifting from directly facing Tang Ning to a slightly tilted angle, focusing on Ji Lianyun.

The white flower wreaths on both sides collapsed to the ground, pristine petals scattered and trampled by countless people. Tang Ning had heard that a burning memorial hall symbolized intense resentment from the deceased. Was this fire a coincidence or something more?

A bout of coughing brought Tang Ning's attention to the people around him. Ji Lianyun seemed seriously affected by the smoke, weakly coughing. Concerned, Tang Ning patted Ji Lianyun's back. Ji Lianyun covered his mouth and nose with one hand, the other pressed against his chest. After a violent fit of coughing, he finally managed to control it.

"Sorry," Ji Lianyun's voice was hoarse as he looked apologetically at Tang Ning. "I messed up my grandfather's memorial hall."

Tang Ning, overwhelmed by the situation, simply said, "It's an accident; you didn't mean for this to happen."

At that moment, the fire indeed erupted inexplicably, a sinister and mysterious occurrence.

Ji Lianyun, hearing Tang Ning's words, looked even more self-reproachful. He clutched his chest, and his knuckles turned white, as if his heart was tormented by intense feelings of guilt.

Tang Ning had initially wanted to check on the fire in the memorial hall, but Ji Lianyun's distressed appearance diverted his attention. "What's wrong? Are you feeling unwell?"

Pale-faced, Ji Lianyun shook his head, speaking intermittently, "I'm fine. Put out the fire; I can handle it alone."

Each word seemed to carry immense pain, his brows furrowed tightly, far from looking untroubled.

Tang Ning's heart tightened. "Let me help you rest in your room!"

Ji Lianyun walked away, murmuring softly, "I can manage myself." As he spoke, he staggered, and if Tang Ning hadn't quickly supported him, Ji Lianyun would have fallen.

Tang Ning draped Ji Lianyun's arm around his neck, supporting Ji Lianyun's waist, slowly guiding him to the adjacent room.

Ji Lianyun's steps were feeble, lacking strength. With each step, he would cough softly. Tang Ning assisted him with extra care, occasionally glancing at the memorial hall. Wisps of black smoke wafted out, people moved busily at the entrance, and Tang Ning felt an inexplicable heaviness in his chest. It was as if he had witnessed the beginning of a calamity, yet he could only watch helplessly as the fire intensified without any means to stop it.

Why couldn't he light the longevity lamp?

A vague thought surfaced in Tang Ning's mind. He remembered the old man's eyes and mouth refusing to close on the first day. After fulfilling the old man's last wish, miraculously, they closed. The game's introductory background also mentioned that marrying Sun and Ji Lianyun was Tang Xianheng's wish. In theory, now that he was married to Ji Lianyun, Tang Xianheng's resentment should diminish. Could it be that...