Chapter 106

It was peculiar how he could have mistaken Shao Mingyi for Gong Jun. He remembered the face that vaguely peeked out from behind the bead curtains—full of dignity and arrogance, an overwhelming aura at first glance that would intimidate anyone. Only upon further reflection could one vaguely realize the seemingly handsome features.

Although Shao Mingyi had a presence, it didn't come off as aggressively, certainly not to the extent of making Tang Ning too afraid to approach.

Tang Ning clutched at Shao Mingyi's clothes. Shao Mingyi's embrace was full of strength, carrying him swiftly without showing any signs of exhaustion. The muscles in his arms were firm, igniting a deep-seated sense of security in Tang Ning—the very thing he craved most.

There was no need to exhaust his last bit of strength to flee, no need to run until he was dizzy and gasping for breath, falling behind, no need to struggle to identify directions.

【System, you told me before that an NPC from one game couldn't appear in another.】

【Yes.】

Tang Ning tightened his grip on the temples of his glasses, 【Can you lie?】

This time, the system's response was a bit slow: 【No.】

Tang Ning suddenly realized the question was meaningless. He had asked the same of Mo Yun Chu, Gong Jun, Ji Lian Yun, and Gu Ming before. Their answers held credibility not because they were particularly honest people, but because they cared about him. So, when he seriously asked, they couldn't bear to deceive him.

Clearly, the system wasn't so benevolent.

Tang Ning took a deep breath and looked behind Shao Mingyi at the people frantically running for their lives. Lin Yun was indeed a frequent runner, solidly in second place, just a step behind Shao Mingyi. Following Lin Yun were a few villagers, with the village chief lagging behind, only half a meter away from the closest ghost!

This was bad!

The village chief was an important NPC in this game; he had always insisted on abolishing the ritual, resisting the pressure from the older generation of villagers, maintaining a delicate balance in the village.

If something happened to the village chief, the ritual would likely be reinstated, and no one knew what would become of the village then!

As a ghastly creature lunged at the village chief, Tang Ning couldn't bear to watch any longer. However, the scene he envisioned didn't occur—

A makeshift wooden arrow flew past Tang Ning with a chilling whoosh, striking straight into the creature's left eye, which was about to pounce on the village chief. The creature let out a wail of agony.

Another wooden arrow swiftly followed, piercing the creature's other eye with precision.

The village chief used this opportunity to desperately run, creating a safe distance from the stationary creature.

Stunned, Tang Ning looked towards the direction from which the arrows had flown. It was from the rooftop of a nearby building. Jiang Mian Mian was half-kneeling on the roof, overlooking the scene below, holding a homemade bow with another arrow ready on the string. Squinting one eye, she loosened her grip, and the sharp arrow flew with a "swoosh," hitting another creature's eye.

"People, come quickly!!!" Several men shouted towards the houses on both sides of the street: "Grab something! Tiezhu and his family have gone mad!"

Following the cries for help, villagers began to emerge, armed with brooms, kitchen knives, chairs, and various household items. Those with less courage would throw their chairs and not dare to get closer, while the braver ones charged forward, several people together overpowering the creature on the ground.