Chapter 20

Tang Ning lay alone on the large bed; it was already 11 PM, and Mo Yunchu still hadn't returned.

As the saying goes, "Misfortunes never come singly." Tonight, a violent storm broke out, with lightning and thunder outside Tang Ning's window. Despite tightly drawn curtains, the bluish-purple flashes still illuminated the bed.

This was the first lonely night Tang Ning experienced in the virtual world.

Lying in bed, he felt something uncomfortable beneath the covers, but when Tang Ning lifted the sheets, there was nothing to be seen.

Reluctant to change rooms, Tang Ning opened the wardrobe, neatly took out the bedding, layering thick goose-down quilts on the bed. Despite the layers, he found no sense of security.

Fears of unexpected things near his pillow, nightmares, and being watched haunted him. His attractive brows furrowed, a fearful blush tinted his cheeks, revealing a pure vulnerability. He seemed on the verge of tears, suppressing the urge, making his nose slightly reddened.

Mo Yunchu.

Mo Yunchu.

Why haven't you come back?

Afraid to undress, like a sacrificial lamb, Tang Ning shakily put on a shirt left by Mo Yunchu.

Mo Yunchu's white shirt, large enough to cover Tang Ning's thighs, showcased his slender figure. Tang Ning, with smooth legs and clean white socks, hugged his knees, sniffing the shirt's scent – a rich, woody fragrance with a hint of sharpness.

Amid thunderous roars, the bedroom lights flickered, creating an uncertain ambiance.

Moist black eyes stared suspiciously at the light bulb. After confirming the lights wouldn't go out, Tang Ning reluctantly looked away, spotting a doll silently sitting at the foot of the bed.

The legless doll sat eerily, its black button eyes fixed on him.

Tang Ning's mind buzzed as if plunging into an abyss. The lights blinked again, reminiscent of the bus encounter with the ghost baby. Panicking, Tang Ning swiftly dialed Mr. Hao's number, "Ring, ring, ring."

Lights brightened again, and the legless doll now sat at Tang Ning's feet.

"Hello?" Mr. Hao's voice calmly sounded. Tang Ning, on the brink of collapse, covered his mouth, voice cat-like, "It, it's here, sitting at my feet."

"What are you afraid of? I gave you the jade; it won't come near you. Now's the right time. Take out the needle and thread; sewing its legs will solve everything."

With the needle in the bag, Tang Ning, weak-kneed, got out of bed. Footsteps echoed in the room. Tang Ning covered his mouth, tears soaking his thick eyelashes. How could this happen? Wearing socks, walking silently, how could there be such loud footsteps behind him?

A chilling sensation embraced Tang Ning; a cold breeze blew on his neck. Trying to stay calm, he trembled, saying to the phone, "Lu Yingxing, it seems like he's, walking close to me."

"Did you wear the jade?"

A trembling "Yes" rolled out of Tang Ning's nostrils.

"He's just an ordinary ghost. In this situation, getting close to you will make him dissipate quickly. You don't need to worry," Mr. Hao's words barely calmed Tang Ning. He felt the weight on him was indeed rapidly decreasing, becoming ethereal, reminiscent of quicksand slipping away from the palm.

Tang Ning picked up his bag, intending to unzip it. However, the weight transferred to his wrist, as if someone was firmly holding his hand, preventing him from taking out the needle and thread.