Chapter 41

"No shadow?"

"Who could be without a shadow?"

Tang Ning, in a daze, lifted his head to look at Qi Yun's back. With no sunlight inside, he couldn't discern whether Qi Yun had a shadow or not.

In truth, whether he had a shadow or not, Qi Yun remained a mystery. Why did Qi Yun exude an astonishing aura of intimidation towards the monsters here? Why could Qi Yun fetch fresh meals from the cafeteria? Why was Tang Ning irresistibly drawn to him?

Too many mysteries surrounded Qi Yun, acting like an invisible umbrella shielding him from the prying eyes of the outside world.

"Today's lunch is egg fried rice," Qi Yun placed the steaming meal in front of Tang Ning, just one bowl.

Like a magician, he produced a peach, "This is the post-meal fruit."

Tang Ning hadn't expected to find fruits in this scenario – a ripe peach with a pink skin, vibrant red hues seeming to suggest a gentle poke could release sweet nectar.

"Where did you get this peach?" Tang Ning asked.

"Preserved," Qi Yun's slender fingers rested in the small dimple at the top of the peach. He caressed it, tearing away the ripe outer skin.

Juice moistened his dry fingertips. Qi Yun extended his tongue, nonchalantly licking his fingertip, "So sweet."

The tone resembled his compliment about Tang Ning's tears being sweet.

Tang Ning lowered his head, uncontrollably recalling last night's events. He picked up the chopsticks and enjoyed the egg fried rice—it was delicious, despite the simple ingredients of eggs, sausage, and rice, especially the sausage, frequently mentioned in the diary.

Upon reflection, sausage indeed was a convenient and preservable food.

"Why aren't you eating?" Tang Ning asked in a hushed tone, observing Qi Yun diligently peeling the peach, revealing its pinkish-white flesh.

"I already ate," Qi Yun tore off the last bit of peach skin, gazing quietly at Tang Ning, "Go ahead, enjoy."

Under Qi Yun's watchful eyes, Tang Ning finished all the rice, then took the peeled peach, savoring it in small bites. The rich juice filled his mouth, reminiscent of the last dinner.

Qi Yun took out tissues, wiping away traces from Tang Ning's mouth. Once clean, he took Tang Ning's hand, leading him to the dorm, and pulled the curtains.

Uncertain of Qi Yun's intentions, Tang Ning's eyes betrayed an uncontrollable anxiety, like a stray cat brought into a new home. Even if just exposed to the new owner's gaze, it exerted all its strength to avoid trembling and baring its fangs.

Only when hungry or facing danger would it cautiously approach the new owner, business-like meows, and always prepared to escape.

But he was so beautiful and fragile, occasional displays of affection could captivate anyone.

Qi Yun approached Tang Ning.

Tang Ning, sitting on the edge of the bed, nervously shifted to the farthest corner, seemingly wanting to maintain distance. However, Qi Yun intentionally sat close, closely observing Tang Ning's tensed demeanor.

Their shoulders touched, and legs bumped, though separated by clothing, Qi Yun could imagine the pretty colors beneath the thin fabric.

Earlobes tinted a faint pink.

Blowing warm air somewhere might make the other shrink. What kind of reaction would it be?

"Aren't you curious about the reason you're being bullied?" Qi Yun spoke softly.