Chapter 75

"What... what is this?!"

The face of the speaking figure is ashen, with murky eyes and lips tinged blue, emitting the putrid stench of decaying flesh with every word.

In an instant, Tangning's skin felt like it exploded, his heart constricting with dread as another query pierced through, "Why aren't you crying?"

This time, the icy voice seemed to emanate from above, each word sending shivers down Tangning's spine, rendering him unable to move, fearing he'd find himself with a neck devoid of a head. He dared not meet anyone's gaze, his eyes darting wildly, afraid to encounter anyone at eye level.

"Why aren't you crying?"

As the villagers of Jiliang Village approached, their questioning steps echoed like waves crashing, surrounding Tangning from above and below, as if the entire space was filled with hovering skulls.

Tangning slumped onto the cushion, his mind consumed by a single thought—

Where is Ji Lianyun? Where is Ji Lianyun!

Panic-stricken, Tangning turned towards the direction of Ji Lianyun, clutching onto the soft thigh behind him. Only by leaning against Ji Lianyun could he prevent himself from falling apart.

"Why aren't you crying?"

The closely whispered inquiry reached his ears, the voice strikingly familiar. For a moment, Tangning was bewildered, staring blankly at the sound.

He saw Ji Lianyun's head held in someone's hand.

The pale skull, with its torn cross-section, stared deeply into his eyes, emitting a strange hue.

"Ahhhh!!!"

A piercing scream pierced through the entire mortuary, silencing all cries and questions in that moment. In the black and white mortuary, adorned with floral wreaths spelling out farewell, tear-streaked faces turned to stare at Tangning in confusion.

The villagers of Jiliang Village were perplexed. Instead of holding a person, they held a dead goose. The deceased had transformed into offerings, but Ji Lianyun's head remained attached to his neck. His pale face bore a look of concern as he softly spoke, "Xiao Ning, what's wrong?"

Tangning pushed Ji Lianyun's hand away abruptly, collapsing onto the cushion, gasping for breath. In his bewildered gaze, everyone else seemed normal, while he, at this moment, felt the most peculiar.

"Why aren't you crying?"

The villagers of Jiliang Village repeated the question, approaching Tang Ning with the offering in hand. Tang Ning shook desperately, trying to retreat, but behind him lay the coffin!

His back pressed against the hard surface, Tang Ning found himself cornered, a strange smirk appearing on the face of the villager. The smirk was sinister and triumphant, as if mocking Tang Ning, suggesting that even if he knew everything, he couldn't do anything about it.

A figure stepped forward, blocking the path between Tang Ning and the villager. Unable to get any closer, the villager halted in front of Ji Lianyun, their eyes meeting. Although the villager ceased their advance towards Tang Ning, their voice still carried through, as Tang Ning uttered each word, "Those who don't mourn in the mortuary will face retribution."

The haunting voice seemed to signal an omen, causing a tightening in the hearts of all present.

Amidst the silence of the mortuary, discussions filled with righteous indignation erupted among the villagers of Tang's family.

"He's unfilial! His grandfather treated him so well, yet he still screams in the mortuary!"

"Barely had his grandfather passed away, and he's already marrying someone from another village. He should just stay there, how dare he show his face here?!"