Chapter 60

Tang Ning was startled by the sudden appearance of this face; if he realized it was Ji Ke's grandfather, Tang Ning's soul would almost fly out.

Throw him away?

What does that mean?

Tang Ning, holding Lin Yun's hand and carrying Ji Lianyan on his back, essentially carrying two people, but Grandpa Ji only said, "Throw him away," not "throw them away."

Tang Ning's eyes widened slightly, nervously looking at Grandpa Ji. This always eccentric old man spoke with unusual clarity, scolding Tang Ning sharply, "Why are you hesitating? Hurry, throw him away!"

"Grandpa Ji, if you can help us, each of us can take one person and leave. No need to abandon anyone." Tang Ning's voice was tense.

The old man's face darkened; his murky eyes looked behind Tang Ning as if he saw something terrifying. After a long silence, he trembled and said, "He's ominous; this is the only chance to get rid of him!"

A chill ran down Tang Ning's spine.

What's ominous?

The one he was carrying was Ji Lianyan, and he was supposed to be the talisman in this instance—

Wait.

The system didn't mention that Ji Lianyan specifically protected him; it only said that Grandpa arranged a marriage for him, and he needed to fulfill his grandfather's wish by choosing to get married.

"You better throw him away quickly! Otherwise, we'll all die!" Grandpa Ji raised his voice, his eyes staring round.

Tang Ning, frightened by Grandpa Ji's appearance, loosened his grip on Lin Yun's hand, both hands reaching to touch Ji Lianyan on his trembling back, afraid the person might fall off. He knew Grandpa Ji's words might be true or false, but one thing he knew was that Ji Lianyan's birth chart had an auspicious star, certified by the system. The system might conceal information, but it would never provide false information to mislead players.

People with an auspicious star in their birth chart are afraid of ghosts, and the black-haired ghost fled when Ji Lianyan opened his eyes. It seems that even the formidable paper bride was scared away upon touching Ji Lianyan's blood. Presumably, Uncle Wang and other ghosts also fear Ji Lianyan.

Grandpa Ji said that if Ji Lianyan is thrown away, they will all die, but crucially, Tang Ning feels he will die if he discards Ji Lianyan.

He can't abandon Ji Lianyan!

Seeing Tang Ning's determined stance, Grandpa Ji's face turned ashen. He staggered over to the door, pushed it open, and walked in.

Tang Ning, carrying Ji Lianyan on his back, had no strength to move. He softly tried to persuade Grandpa Ji, "You say he's ominous, do you have any evidence? He's now my husband; how can I abandon him?"

"Marrying a ghost? The biggest joke in the world!" Grandpa Ji was so angry that his beard trembled. "He has poisoned you with some kind of enchantment! All the disasters in the village are caused by him! He knows everything that will happen! Everyone went to get treasures; he avoided it on purpose! Everyone participated in the temple fair; he deliberately declined! He wants the entire village to bury him! You too! You will die with him!"

Memories of a haunting melody surfaced.

A captivating male voice echoed, "Bride, come down quickly, join me in matrimony, and let's journey together to the underworld."

Tang Ning was stunned for a moment. "Yes, he is unwell and didn't have the energy to attend the temple fair."

Grandpa Ji sneered, "You believe in his ghostly tales too."