Chapter 100

Handprints?!

Tang Ning, still groggy from sleep, suddenly sat up and stared wide-eyed at his pillow.

Indeed, there were wet handprints on it, and not just one.

Two damp handprints were on either side of the pillow, larger than Tang Ning's own hands, suggesting they couldn't have been made by him.

His heart pounding fiercely, Tang Ning threw back the covers, only to find not just handprints on the bed, but also the same human-shaped imprint he had seen on the ceiling last night!

Overwhelmed by intense fear, Tang Ning nearly collapsed onto the bed, his feeble limbs landing on the quilt that bore the remnants of the human shape. The faint dampness, through the quilt touching his skin, gave Tang Ning the terrifying illusion of coming into contact with that non-existent being.

Ridiculousness, fear, and shame simultaneously stimulated Tang Ning's taut nerves. Dizzy, he attempted to climb out of bed, but his legs got caught in the covers. With weak arms and legs, Tang Ning rolled off the bed, the pain almost making him cry out. Unsure if his "character setting" allowed him to moan in pain, he could only cover his mouth with his hand.

The quilt, hooked by his toes, slid off the bed and fell onto Tang Ning, a bizarre, damp scent assaulting his face – the same scent Tang Ning had smelled in the bathroom last night. Shi Lin had said it was the smell of the river, but Tang Ning could only detect a faint fragrance.

He was actually bewitched by the scent of a bath gel!

Tang Ning clamped his mouth shut, fearing he couldn't help but make a sound. The damp quilt covering him, the lingering strange scent seemed to turn into an undercurrent, threatening to engulf Tang Ning like water seeping through every crevice!

It was that monster!

The monster he had encountered last night! He had unknowingly shared his bed with it for the entire night!!!

Every cell in Tang Ning's body screamed. He threw off the damp quilt, struggled to get up from the floor, hastily put on shoes, grabbed his phone, and stumbled outside.

In the morning courtyard, a hunched figure sat, hands in leather gloves grasping a fish tail, the sharp knife effortlessly slicing below the tail fin, then cutting off the dorsal and anal fins...

"Bang!"

The bloody fish knife fell on the fish head, hand and knife moving in unison, easily chopping off the head. Dark red blood splattered everywhere. After chopping the fish head into four pieces, the old lady quickly scaled the fish, slit its belly, and chopped it into neat pieces of fish meat, a strong fishy smell emanating from the cutting board piled with fish meat.

Blood spattered from her chin to the side of her face, the old lady looked up in silence at Tang Ning, who had just run out of the house.

Tang Ning's breathing halted, a feeling of revulsion he couldn't describe. He covered his mouth, not speaking. The white-haired old lady didn't say a word either. They looked at each other silently, the fish in the bucket struggling as if trying to leap out.

"Up?" The voice of the ferryman broke the silence. He stood straight in the doorway, half his body covered by the shadow of the house behind him, his skinny hand slowly rising to wave Tang Ning over. "Just in time, the fish porridge is ready. Come have breakfast."

Tang Ning took a step back.

"What's the matter?" The ferryman continued to beckon. "Come on, it won't taste good cold."

Tang Ning glanced at the old lady holding the fish knife, hurriedly retreated back to his room, and with a snap, closed the door. The ferryman's voice still came from outside: "Why go back? Come out and eat!"