Chapter 58

Tang Ning haphazardly 'organized' his clothes, addressing Ji Lianyan, who was inexplicably sweating on his face: "Just now, I heard someone screaming outside, and that person seemed to be—"

"It seemed to be Ji Ke," Tang Ning confirmed.

Upon hearing this, Ji Lianyan struggled to stand up from the coffin. His whole body swayed, and Tang Ning tried to support him, but with little strength, he inadvertently pulled Ji Lianyan back into the coffin.

Despite Ji Lianyan's frailty, his tall stature pressed onto Tang Ning, who managed to push him away. The blood-stained lips brushed against Tang Ning's earlobe, eliciting a choked sound as Tang Ning curled up inside the coffin.

Ji Lianyan's expression was blank, and inexplicably, he uttered, "Warm fragrance, embracing jade in full arms."

Why was he so gentle?

The warm breath scattered on Tang Ning's ear, causing him to tremble slightly. With weakened hands, he struggled to push Ji Lianyan away, "You, you need to get up."

Tang Ning felt that Ji Lianyan's condition had worsened. Before, he could fetch water, but now even getting up seemed difficult.

Oh no, judging by the deterioration of Ji Lianyan's health, he might lose his husband?

Worriedly, Tang Ning looked at Ji Lianyan, noticing the thin sweat on his forehead. Ji Lianyan didn't meet his gaze, but instead, he reached out and gently lifted the limp Tang Ning.

Despite Ji Lianyan's visibly ailing condition, it couldn't be denied that having him by Tang Ning's side brought an unusual sense of security. Especially now, staying by the side of the ailing Ji Lianyan, Tang Ning worried only about him fainting.

Timidly, Tang Ning embraced Ji Lianyan's arm. After the series of events on the wedding bed, he felt justified in such simple physical contact. However, Ji Lianyan's body stiffened for a moment, which Tang Ning failed to notice.

Unaware of Ji Lianyan's discomfort, Tang Ning focused on his surroundings, fearing some supernatural entity might suddenly appear. Eventually, he nervously stared at the door as Ji Lianyan reached out to open it, and Tang Ning hid behind him, only daring to show half of his face.

A chilly wind swept in.

Tang Ning caught a whiff of a metallic, bloody scent.

He lowered his head, spotting Ji Ke lying in a pool of blood. Fresh blood flowed continuously from his left eye, as if a crimson flower had blossomed within the eye socket.

In an instant, Tang Ning's face turned deathly pale. He gently covered his face with one hand, and Ji Lianyan softly uttered, "Don't look."

Quivering lashes brushed Ji Lianyan's palm like a butterfly.

Ji Lianyan crouched down to assess Ji Ke's condition. Grayish-white powder covered Ji Ke's face and body. Ji Lianyan dipped his fingers in the powder, first sniffing it under his nose, then licking it with the tip of his tongue.

"It's ashes," Ji Lianyan murmured.

Tang Ning dared not look at Ji Ke. He guessed that the ashes were Ji Ke's mission item, similar to the talisman Lin Yun used.

"He's not dead," Ji Lianyan strained as he lifted Ji Ke. "Considering the rate of blood loss, he's far from death."

Tang Ning immediately stepped forward to help Ji Lianyan lift and drag Ji Ke into the house. He dared to look at Ji Ke's body but avoided looking at his face.

After placing Ji Ke inside, Tang Ning followed Ji Lianyan to the adjacent utility room. They grabbed some herbs and returned. Ji Lianyan applied the herbs to Ji Ke's left eye and performed a simple bandaging.