Chapter 53

At the moment he sat in the sedan chair, the ghostly children who had clung tightly to Tang Ning inside suddenly let go, wailing as if fearing something, unwillingly running out.

Something that even scared the ghostly children.

What?

In his mind, the image of that presence he saw in the woods emerged. From head to toe, he observed the person who had 'revealed' a hand and a faint silhouette behind the hanging curtain. Yet, he couldn't quite grasp the extraordinary nature of that existence.

It was like childhood visits to the temple, glimpsing the magnificent clay sculptures in the lingering smoke. Even without understanding everything, one could still sense the imposing presence throughout.

—"Destined to be my ideal partner, the person of a hundred years in harmony. How could it be you?"

—"Find him for me."

He remembered that hand cruelly snapping the paper bride's arm and then rudely throwing her out of the sedan chair.

Because that presence felt the paper bride wasn't the person he was looking for.

Now, his situation was eerily similar to that paper bride. Tang Ning suddenly felt uncertain. In avoiding a visible danger, had he inadvertently collided with an even greater crisis?

Leaving aside everything else, with the terrifying presence of that sedan chair, could he still marry Ji Lianyan?

Thinking this, Tang Ning anxiously looked up. The interior of the sedan chair was all blood-red, so dark it seemed black. A chilling atmosphere pervaded the sedan, as if an invisible, icy presence embraced him. Tang Ning sensed the frigid breath of snow, his body wrapped layer upon layer, as if embraced by snowflakes. Cold and wanting to retreat, he found the cramped space offered no escape.

The cramped space offered no escape.

Tang Ning shrank his shoulders, cautiously embracing the red bridal gown, skin akin to snow. His eyes, misted with fear, looked around.

Somehow, Tang Ning felt something prickling on the red cushion beneath him, in that unspeakable place.

Uncomfortable, he furrowed his brow. Tears clung to his trembling eyelashes as he bravely reached out to explore the soft seat. Before his touch, the sedan suddenly lifted and tilted backward. Tang Ning tumbled onto the soft cushion, shaking all over due to the angle.

The sedan curtain fluttered in a chilly breeze. Amid the dim red glow, the head of a ghostly child slowly rose. The previously ethereal child leaped up, chasing the sedan, staring directly at Tang Ning through the curtain with haunting eyes.

Resentful, cruel, greedy.

Tang Ning met the pale face of the ghost child, and his whole body went limp. Even the strength to struggle abandoned him as he collapsed onto the cushion. The profound sensation intensified, plunging Tang Ning into a feeling of abyss, weightlessness, fear, and an encroaching force.

Ghostly children bounced in the night, mouths agape, singing in unison, "Today I spread the canopy, joy! Blessings of prosperity and longevity, joy!"

Tang Ning, witnessing the relentless scene, felt breathless, no, truly breathless. The sash from Lin Yunxi was too tight, as if an invisible hand gripped his waist.

No, no more.

Don't cling to me anymore.

Tang Ning reached for the sash, trembling as he tried to untie it. The red glow, stirred by the chilling wind, spilled through the swaying curtain, casting light on Tang Ning's clear face. It evoked the image of an unknowing child, yet enticed by the ghostly enchantment, falling into a dazzling vortex.