Chapter 59

Ji Lianyan's face suddenly turned, leaning in close to say these words. The swaying red lantern cast a crimson glow on Ji Lianyan's jaw, and a chilly wind brushed against Tang Ning's back. Tang Ning's eyelashes trembled, "N-no, using the blood of livestock?"

"Of course not." Ji Lianyan lowered his gaze at Tang Ning, "Appetites are nurtured bit by bit."

"At first, chickens and ducks could satisfy, then pigs and dogs, followed by cattle and sheep."

"Ultimately, only lives could fill the hunger."

Holding Tang Ning's hand, Ji Lianyan's voice was tender as if whispering sweet nothings, "Desires are insatiable, no other way."

Tang Ning's fingertips couldn't help but tremble, a chill ran down his spine. If this were true, then his earlier speculations might be correct.

The offerings were the village's women and children.

What comes next?

Elders?

Thinking carefully, besides the eccentric Grandpa Ji, there weren't many elderly in the village. No, that's not right. If the ghost's appetite grows, then the next targets should be the young and middle-aged.

The entire village should know this pattern of survival, but players like Tang Ning wouldn't. He was Ji Lianyan's wife, semi-integrated into the village, protected by Ji Lianyan. Ji Ke, being a direct member of the Ji family, might have some inside information.

So, what about Lin Yun? He is a young adult, ignorant of the situation, and even encountered that engagement gift box!

Lin Yun stood in the room, motionless, with a lengthy talisman affixed above. This life-saving item was obtained in a perilous dungeon, allowing him to feign death by sticking the talisman to his forehead when in danger, causing ghosts and creatures to lose interest.

However, the talisman had its drawbacks – one being that you couldn't move while using it. After all, the dead don't move. Once the talisman was applied, even blinking would render it ineffective.

It was thanks to this item that Lin Yun survived this particular dungeon.

He was extremely cautious, to the extent that even when all the ghostly children had left the room, he remained still in his spot.

Then he noticed—

A face, strange and distorted, peeked through the shattered glass window, revealing features with flattened contours. The eyes and eyebrows were pure black, like ink strokes. The cheeks were adorned with vivid red blush, and the lips were delicate, painted in a blood-like red.

Unfortunately, two ashy-black tear streaks marred the exquisite makeup on the face.

The paper bride's eyes darted around, surveying the chaotic room.

Lin Yun kept his eyes open, the prolonged lack of blinking making them sting.

After a while, the unfulfilled paper bride retreated, drifting away lightly.

Lin Yun maintained his position, even though his eyes had started to feel dry.

"Knock, knock, knock." Suddenly, a series of knocks echoed, "Open the door, it's me."

It was Ji Ke's voice.

Lin Yun remained silent.

They had discussed several ways to communicate, and if Ji Ke visited, there would be a predetermined signal.

"Hurry up and open the door!" The knocking intensified, shaking the wooden door, "I know you're in there!"

Lin Yun held his breath.