Chapter 65

Treading on two boats, one of them haunted, fearing the possibility of capsizing and being swallowed whole, Tang Ning swallowed hard and asked in a hushed tone, "What exactly do I need to do?"

"Have you ever raised fish?" Lin Yun inquired.

"Yes," Tang Ning replied somewhat bewildered, not understanding why Lin Yun brought up such a question but still responding earnestly, "Started with a goldfish, later got a cat, and gave the fish away."

Lin Yun and Tang Ning locked eyes for a few seconds, his clear gaze reflecting his own features, surprisingly immaculate. He heard himself asking, "Have you been in love?"

Tang Ning hesitated for a moment, feeling the complex situation of treading on two boats, "Twice."

"How many partners?" Lin Yun questioned.

After a brief silence, Tang Ning, feeling the dilemma of treading on two boats, answered, "Two."

"Can you carry water?" Lin Yun calmly continued, "Doing the same thing twice, don't lean too much towards one side. I'm not sure about the impact of intimate contact with both of them, so I suggest that if you kiss one, don't neglect the other when the time comes."

Tang Ning widened his eyes, finding it hard to believe what he had just heard.

Lin Yun clarified, "The ghostly groom kissed yesterday, for balance, when Ji Lianyan arrives, it's best to reciprocate."

Pausing, Lin Yun added, "If things progress further, the same applies."

Tang Ning was completely stunned.

"What's wrong?" In fact, Lin Yun had seen through Tang Ning's progress with the ghostly groom at a glance, not because of any extraordinary insight, but due to Tang Ning's constitution—

His voice was not hoarse, he could still walk on his own, his back was straight, and he was as beautiful as a little swan, seemingly untouched.

Tang Ning quickly shook his head.

He bit his lip, ultimately deciding not to reveal what he had done with that person.

"Fetching things from the well is not very convenient," Lin Yun suggested, "Let's first retrieve the pearls."

In the early morning, before the sun arrived, a mist enveloped the surroundings. The houses around were tightly shut, with red lanterns hanging on bare trees, casting an eerie tone in the otherwise gray and desolate village.

As Tang Ning passed each house, a slight chill crawled up his spine. When he saw the reflection of the scene in the mirror – windows and eaves adorned with lifeless bodies, hauntingly pitiful, resentment permeating the air – reason told Tang Ning not to look back, not to, but when the muscles on his back shivered intensely, he couldn't help but glance back.

Nothing was there.

The vacant houses echoed with fragmented wails as the morning wind swept through, creating a melancholic symphony.

Tang Ning swiftly turned back, his entire body tensed at an unknown moment.

Walking between Ji Ke and Lin Yun provided a bit of reassurance. There was something called "aura" – the breath of the living, which, like the sun, could dispel some of the cold. If possible, Tang Ning really wanted to hold hands with Ji Ke or Lin Yun, to navigate through the village after the horrifying scenes of last night and maintain a semblance of normalcy.

However, Ji Ke and Lin Yun were busy picking pearls, with no time to take care of him. Pearls scattered in every corner, on abandoned farmland, on disused grindstones, and on steps covered in fallen leaves.