Chapter 76

Ji Ke is dead.

He hung himself in the mourning hall, his long tongue protruding from his mouth, his lifeless hands dangling weakly on either side of his legs, his toes swaying slightly in the air.

"Ji Ke! How could you be so foolish!" Uncle Wang stood beside the hanging body, his face full of grief. He exclaimed, "I only said those words insincerely, but you wanted to die!"

Everyone saw Ji Ke hanging himself, so the words seemed to ring true.

The sorrow between the lines made Uncle Wang's voice tremble. He climbed onto a stool, reaching out to try to move Ji Ke's body, but he struggled alone. "What are you all staring at?! Come help!"

Viscous blood oozed from the gauze, splattering on the ground, forming a small blood flower.

Players lifted their heads, expressionless as they watched the scene, their eyes cold and numb. They moved to help, except for one—

Tang Ning, trembling silently in tears.

He struggled to stand, wanting to approach Ji Ke.

Ji Ke's life was exchanged by Grandpa Ji, and Grandpa Ji should have his body properly taken care of. Ji Ke should be lying in the coffin.

Long fingers pressed on Tang Ning's shoulder, and Ji Lianyun's voice echoed lightly in the mourning hall: "I am not well, unable to help, but we are all Ji Ke's family. How can we just stand by?"

As Ji Lianyun spoke, the villagers of Ji's family slowly moved. They approached Uncle Wang and together, they lifted Ji Ke's body down.

Uncle Wang, who had just lamented how young Ji Ke was to give up, fell silent, glaring coldly at Ji Lianyun through the crowd.

"Where's the coffin?" the people of Ji's family asked.

There was a ready-made coffin in the village, and Han Yunian's body was still on a wooden bed. Some players went to help make the coffin for him. Now, they needed wood to make a coffin for Ji Ke.

"Let's borrow some wood from another house and make a coffin for Ji Ke." "Alright." "It's a pity he was so young." "He's the third one, isn't he?" The villagers, who had just shaken their heads in lament, suddenly looked at Tang Ning with strange eyes. "Who will be next?"

Ji Lianyun blocked Tang Ning's path, and Tang Ning bowed his head, silently kneeling on the cushion.

He was dressed in white, with a white filial band tied around his forehead. Although his eyes were red, his nose was red, and his face was streaked with blood tears, his complexion was translucent.

Guests came and went in the mourning hall, but Tang Ning knelt quietly, like a beautiful painting.

Tang Ning was good at silence, one of the few things he excelled at. He could be quiet all day alone. The intense wails in the mourning hall had stopped, as if a violent storm had finally subsided, but the air was still filled with invisible mist.

Sadness lingered around him, his tears flowing from his eyes, creating his own little world of rain.

Ji Lianyun stood by his side all along. He smelled the unique scent of blood and medicine mixed on Ji Lianyun's body. Tang Ning closed his eyes, trying not to think about anything, but his mind was empty, yet sadness still lingered, like an invisible monster devouring him.

Stop feeling so miserable, it's not good for your health. You need to conserve your energy to prepare for tomorrow's funeral, it's going to be tough, and you need to be clear-headed.

Tang Ning's mind reminded his body.

But his body was so uncooperative, unable to chase away the monster that lingered in his chest.