Chapter 29

Tang Ning's mind went blank, his body covered in a cold sweat, heart pounding so fast it felt like it might leap out of his chest, consumed by immense fear.

A sly smile slowly crept across Song Lin Su's lips as he revealed it to Tang Ning.

"Ah!!!"

Tang Ning couldn't help but scream, clutching the bedding tightly, desperately shrinking into the corner.

In his view, Song Lin Su, who had been standing at the bedside, suddenly appeared in Tang Ning's own bed. Song Lin Su lay straight across from Tang Ning, staring at him with a puzzled gaze, as if everything that had just happened was Tang Ning's imagination.

Was it an illusion?

Or was he just dreaming moments ago?

Tang Ning gripped his hair tightly, chest heaving violently. As he pondered what was happening, he suddenly heard a faint knocking sound coming from the corridor outside.

It wasn't his dorm being knocked on.

It sounded more like the next room.

"Classmates of Room 302, are you all asleep?" A hoarse voice echoed in the silent night, slightly eerie in tone.

Tang Ning was puzzled, recalling someone mentioning in the group chat that there would be room checks at night. However, even if they were asleep, why would someone specifically knock and ask if everyone was asleep? Those truly asleep couldn't answer this question.

Just as Tang Ning was confused, the gentle knocking gradually intensified, changing from "tap, tap, tap" to "thud, thud, thud."

"Classmates of Room 302, are you really all asleep?" The voice asked again, hauntingly.

Still, no one answered.

"No, someone must not be asleep." The voice self-answered, "I clearly heard someone screaming just now."

In that moment, Tang Ning widened his eyes, staring at Song Lin Su on the opposite bed. The only source of light in the darkness was the flashlight beam swaying in the corridor, casting an eerie light on Song Lin Su's face. In that mysterious glow, Song Lin Su's smile became even more chilling, resembling a vengeful ghost or perhaps, he was one.

"Thud, thud, thud."

The distinct knocking echoed again, but this time, it was on Tang Ning's dorm!

"Classmates of Room 303, are you asleep?" The voice whispered.

Tang Ning's throat was so dry he couldn't utter a word. His chest had no strength, only a sensation of intense soreness from the shock.

"Thud, thud, thud."

Tang Ning's body trembled uncontrollably.

"Thud, thud, thud, thud, thud."

Each knock seemed to hit Tang Ning's rapidly beating heart. It felt like his heart was about to jump out of his throat!

"Thud, thud, thud! Thud, thud, thud! Thud, thud, thud!"

Tang Ning tightly covered his mouth and nose, tears streaming down from the corners of his eyes.

Almost asleep! Almost asleep! Please, be asleep!!!

The thunderous knocking, akin to the door being smashed, nearly shattered Tang Ning's mental defenses. He curled up in bed, biting his palm to the point where only the pain could keep him aware of being alive.

Why aren't you asleep yet?! Why aren't you asleep?! If you don't fall asleep soon, you'll die!

You will die!