Chapter 98

Tang Ning returned to the room, where Lin Yun fetched a dry towel to help him wipe his hair. Zhang Yun mentioned he was going to make some ginger soup.

Tang Ning placed a finger in his mouth, trying to invoke the comfort of a familiar routine, but the drowning had taken a severe toll on his body. He sneezed again, feeling utterly weak and powerless.

Lin Yun touched Tang Ning's forehead, finding it not feverish but alarmingly cold, his hands as icy as ice cubes. "Go take a hot bath," he suggested.

Tang Ning hesitated.

He feared bathing alone in the eerie game setting, or more accurately, he feared being alone. The game's unspoken rules had pre-determined the optimal number of room occupants for survival. Any deviation from this might invite malevolent spirits or other misfortunes.

If not for these rules, Tang Ning really wished he could just crash in Lin Yun's room. Well, crash might not be the right word—he imagined the horror of discovering a ghost sleeping under the bed, resulting in a bizarre face-to-face encounter.

Lin Yun rummaged through Tang Ning's luggage and found a set of clean clothes. "Are you going to take a bath?"

After a moment's thought, Tang Ning took out his water-damaged phone, offering it to Lin Yun with a pitiable look. Lin Yun couldn't help but frown upon seeing it. "I'm not sure if there's a place to fix phones in this town. Use my phone for now; you need it more. Tell me how you got back tonight."

Tang Ning accepted Lin Yun's phone and briefly shared his ordeal.

Lin Yun looked at Tang Ning with disbelief in his eyes, asking, "Even though I can't swim, and even if I could, do you really think I would jump into the water to save that player? Do I look like someone that selfless?"

He said this with an air of straightforwardness, causing Tang Ning to lower his head in shame, muttering, "No, you don't."

"What an idiot."

Tang Ning's shame deepened, and he heard Lin Yun sigh, "Only a fool would risk their life to save someone else."

The dry towel was wrapped around Tang Ning's hair. "Be the bad guy next time; don't be so nice to others."

Tang Ning looked up at Lin Yun, whose vigorous rubbing of his head with the towel made him frown. He earnestly replied, "But they're my teammates, not just anybody."

Lin Yun suddenly didn't know what to say.

At that moment, the door opened, and Zhang Yun came in with steaming ginger soup. Tang Ning reached out to take the bowl, but Zhang Yun warned, "It's very hot, use the spoon."

A spoon was specifically placed in the bowl, and as Tang Ning took a sip, he smiled gratefully at Zhang Yun. His eyes curved, and the thick eyelashes couldn't hide the brightness of his eyes. Zhang Yun paused mid-sentence, then added, "I added some brown sugar, it'll be sweeter."

"Do you want to take a hot bath? I can prepare the hot water for you first," Zhang Yun asked, echoing Lin Yun's earlier question.

While Tang Ning was sipping the soup, he evaluated Zhang Yun. Isn't Zhang Yun like a prince from a fairy tale?

Probably, considering Zhang Yun could rescue him from monsters. Having Zhang Yun accompany him for a bath would likely feel safer.

With this thought, Tang Ning nodded.

He typed out to Zhang Yun: "Can you accompany me in the bath?"

Zhang Yun lowered his head to read the message on the phone, and the bowl filled with ginger soup slipped from his suddenly loosened grip, crashing onto the floor and shattering into pieces.