Chapter 48

The torrential rain poured down, dense and chilling, casting a bone-chilling cold.

A red umbrella crowded the narrow alley, and as the joyful suona sounded, a woman in a red wedding dress seemed to hear something, crying and wanting to jump off the wedding sedan, but a strong man forcibly blocked her way.

"No! Don't take away my daughter!" Amidst the downpour, a woman's voice screamed desperately, "Let me go for her! Let me go!"

"You? What use can you be?!"

"San Aunt! You know the rules, don't break them!"

"Quick, stop her!"

The wedding procession experienced a brief turmoil, under the overcast sky, with the vast deep sea eventually revealing its bottom, the human heart elusive. The woman was pinned to the ground, seemingly a sea of tears and blood behind her.

As the wedding procession resumed, the wailing cries and suona echoed, joy and sorrow intertwined on this journey.

Tang Ning stood dazed in the wedding procession, next to the weeping woman. A strange thought crossed his mind - the bride should be him.

Realizing this, Tang Ning suddenly appeared in the bride's position. The red sedan swayed, the red veil on his head shook, and with one hand lifting the veil and the other the curtain, he looked outside – the wedding procession was filled with paper figures!

Each paper figure joyfully pulled out paper money from their pockets, tossing it into the air. The pouring rain transformed into a shower of paper money.

A deep and captivating voice drifted from afar, saying, "Bride, come down quickly, let's tie the knot and journey together to the underworld."

Tang Ning opened his eyes abruptly, cold sweat sliding down his face. He gasped for breath, eyes filled with terror meeting a face emitting a faint bluish light.

This face was looking at him.

Illuminated by Lin Yun's light, Ji Ke softly said, "You're awake."

Tang Ning almost couldn't catch his breath. He thought he was dead, and surviving the attack of the paper bride was truly a stroke of luck.

"Who saved me?" Tang Ning asked in a hushed voice, vaguely remembering someone breaking the paper on his face, the joy of breathing fresh air making him cry, and then he lost consciousness.

"We found you lying unconscious, and there was a torn piece of paper next to you," Ji Ke said. "By the way, it's now 10 PM; we're almost at Ji Family Village. Can you walk on your own?"

Only now did Tang Ning realize that he was currently being carried by Ji Ke, explaining the bumpy ride like a sedan in his dreams.

"I can," Tang Ning hurriedly tried to get down.

Ji Ke, who had been carrying Tang Ning for a while, was indeed a bit tired. However, as Tang Ning left his embrace, an indescribable reluctance emerged.

Unaware of Ji Ke's thoughts, Tang Ning moved his limbs and walked between Ji Ke and Lin Yun.

After a few minutes, a village glowing with red light appeared in the distance. Tang Ning's heart tightened as he approached, realizing that the red glow was due to the entire village being adorned with red lanterns, with "Double Happiness" characters pasted on windows and doors.

This is a very ordinary village, somewhat similar to the one Tang Ning originally lived in, with old dilapidated houses—wooden and mud houses. Some houses even collapsed, leaving only half of the walls.

The difference lies in several newly built small villas that, while not exquisite in appearance, have significantly improved the prosperity of Ji Family Village compared to Tang Ning's village.