Chapter 44

The directors' gaze fell upon him, tinged with a hint of confusion, for the current Tang Ning seemed emotionally off. From the moment he lowered his head to check his phone, an indescribable sorrow and loneliness began to flow from him.

Seemingly devastated after the audition rejection, this young actor appeared unusually heartbroken. The sadness he revealed was tender enough to evoke sympathy from onlookers.

He blinked, concealing the sadness behind his dark eyes. Tang Ning earnestly and politely inquired, "Director, may I ask specifically where my previous performance didn't quite meet the role requirements?"

Chang Yike furrowed his brow. The last thing he said to Tang Ning was, "Your performance doesn't quite meet our expectations for the character," which was actually a polite way of putting it. Tang Ning's performance just now could be described as almost unbearable, not just a matter of not meeting expectations but rather a complete mismatch.

That wooden acting, refraining from saying "decayed wood cannot be carved" on the spot, showcased remarkable restraint.

However, Chang Yike had to admit one thing: this young actor didn't look good on screen. His pupils appeared lifeless, like dead fish eyes, but in reality, the pure blackness of his irises, round and large like black grapes, easily captured attention and softened hearts with a gaze full of moist allure.

Carefully choosing his words, Chang Yike advised, "Your expressions lack naturalness, too stylized. Your understanding of the character is too shallow; although this scene requires conveying shock and fear, it's not just about these two underlying emotions."

As Chang Yike delivered this patient critique, his assistant director glanced at him with surprise. Normally, this guy didn't have such a good temper.

Having listened attentively to Chang Yike's feedback, Tang Ning, with a deep bow, hesitated for a moment before asking softly, "After hearing your guidance just now, I suddenly have many ideas. May I try again?"

His eyes betrayed nervousness, recalling the heart-wrenching gaze from earlier. Chang Yike, almost against his usual temperament, said, "Sure."

Since some time was already wasted, a little more wouldn't hurt.

With Chang Yike's permission, the young actor stood in place, took a deep breath, and under everyone's scrutiny, hesitated before asking, "Can I borrow a cigarette?"

Chang Yike's expression soured. It wasn't because of the delay; rather, the discomfort arose from the seemingly well-behaved youngster having a smoking habit, akin to parents discovering their child secretly picked up smoking.

However, this young actor seemed to possess a natural ability to evoke sympathy.

Chang Yike nodded again.

Approaching him, Tang Ning, with wide eyes, looked at Chang Yike, who frowned back. After a moment of eye contact, Chang Yike remembered the request for a cigarette; the lad probably didn't have one.

Borrowing a cigarette landed right on his plate. It was quite audacious, but Chang Yike couldn't help finding it amusing. He took out a lighter and a cigarette, ready to criticize ruthlessly if the upcoming performance was as lackluster, and perhaps impart a lesson about the bad habit of smoking at such a young age.

As the lit cigarette was handed to Tang Ning, he widened his eyes slightly. His long eyelashes, along with his gaze, trembled. At such close proximity, Chang Yike could sense the astonishment and a hint of fear in those eyes.

Not only that, alongside the fear, his lip quivered incessantly, as if trying to bite down and spit the smoke out. A subtle resistance transmitted through the cigarette to Chang Yike's fingertips.