Chapter 82

The cold wind blew onto Tang Ning's face, causing him to abruptly open his eyes. He found himself standing by the window, which had been pushed open at some point. His hand reached out to the window, gripping a blood-stained hemp rope.

Wait, when did he reach out his hand?!

Tang Ning quickly withdrew his hand as if scorched by flames, shivering from an inexplicable chill that swept over him.

Once again, the night wind blew in, leaving Tang Ning drenched in cold sweat. He stood panting heavily by the open window, clutching his rapidly beating chest, scanning around but seeing nothing—not the old lady singing opera, nor the braziers burning paper money.

What had happened? Was everything just an illusion?!

No, the hemp rope was real!

Tang Ning trembled as he grasped the rope in his hand, its rough texture reminding him that what just occurred was not merely his imagination.

Tang Ning stared intently at the hemp rope in his hand. It bore a striking resemblance to the one used to tie Uncle Wang's feet, yet the bloodstains were slightly different.

He reached for his phone and noticed the signal was back, but upon opening the group chat, he didn't see Lin Yun's message, "I've given you the rope, Ning Wa Zi, remember to burn the paper for me." Instead, it remained on their midday exchange.

A thing had somehow delivered the rope to him through mysterious means. Everything that had just happened must have been an illusion created by that thing.

No wonder his phone suddenly lost signal. Normally, if the ghost hadn't truly departed, the signal wouldn't have returned. In the illusion, the ghost was still present, yet it communicated with him through the phone and the players in the game.

Upon closer examination, there were loopholes everywhere. However, in the midst of extreme fear, Tang Ning couldn't think calmly. Now, reflecting on it, that situation was probably the ghost's first attempt to deceive him, using his memories to fabricate illusions. It seemed the old lady didn't intend to harm him after all.

For a moment, Tang Ning's heart was engulfed by a surge of gratitude for the extra lease on life. With trembling fingers, he typed on his phone, "Have you encountered any abnormalities while keeping vigil? @Everyone."

Lin Yun: "No, how about your side?"

Tang Ning bit his tongue—it hurt. This time, it shouldn't be an illusion. He quickly recounted the events he had experienced in the group chat.

Lin Yun: "The hemp rope given by the ghost lady is likely a crucial item to restrain Uncle Wang! Wait for me, I'll be there right away!"

Han Ankang: "That's great! With this hemp rope, our safety factor for tomorrow's funeral will increase. However, since the ghost lady mentioned 'remember to burn paper for me' to you, you'd better act accordingly."

Lin Guijing: "We have the paper money here. The key is how to burn it for that ghost lady."

The family group chat buzzed with lively discussion. This newly discovered hemp rope was a godsend to everyone. Previously, Tang Ning had once managed to successfully bind Uncle Wang's feet, but the next time they saw Uncle Wang, he had successfully freed himself from the rope. Players privately discussed that the idea of using the hemp rope to restrain Uncle Wang should be correct, but perhaps it was lacking something, allowing Uncle Wang to free himself.

Now, with the appearance of the new hemp rope, the family speculated that using a second rope to bind Uncle Wang again might be the true method to restrict him.