Chapter 108

"What is there to thank for?" Tang Ning earnestly said: "If it weren't for you saving me, I almost drowned in the river. I should be the one sincerely thanking you for saving my life."

When the matter of saving was brought up, Zhang Yun's gaze suddenly dodged, and he asked softly, "Do you speak up for me just because I saved you?"

"You could say that, but it's not entirely that," Tang Ning pondered with some distress before saying, "Because you saved me and took care of me, I had the chance to realize that you are a good person. The fact that you saved me was an opportunity. If you had done something else that let me understand you, I would also speak up for you."

Zhang Yun lowered his head, not saying anything.

Tang Ning was a bit at a loss, not knowing if he had said something wrong.

"By the way, Zhang Yun, I wanted to ask if you know anything about the wishing well?" Lin Yun asked from the side.

"The wishing well in our town?" Zhang Yun looked towards Lin Yun, "It had been neglected for a long time, and normally nobody goes there. It's just that after tourists started coming in, many of them like to go there for check-ins, take photos, and throw coins."

"Oh? Is it because making a wish there is very effective?" Lin Yun asked, remembering that besides ancient coins, there were many modern coins in the well, indicating that many tourists had thrown coins there.

Zhang Yun shook his head, "Before the old master made a wish there, it was a very ordinary well. Most tourists like going there mostly because they think the sculpture in the middle of the well is good."

"Is the sculpture related to the River God you worship?"

Zhang Yun said something somewhat unexpected, "Many of us haven't believed in the River God for a long time now."

"But didn't you just recently abolish a certain ceremony?"

Mentioning the ceremony made Zhang Yun's expression somewhat unnatural, as if a wound had been uncovered. Yet, after he glanced at Tang Ning who was also expecting an answer, Zhang Yun suppressed his emotions and explained softly, "That ceremony was to punish the evil incarnation of the River God. Many of the older generation, even though they no longer worship the River God, still believe in its existence."

"They think that the River God would be angry with us for not worshiping it anymore. Being angry, it would cause harm. So, in order to protect the peace of the town, the ceremony was held to suppress the evil incarnation of the River God."

"Why don't people in your town believe in the River God anymore?" Lin Yun asked.

Zhang Yun shook his head, "I'm not very clear either. Maybe the older generation would know. I once asked my grandfather, but he didn't want to tell me."

Again, it's the older generation.

There seems to be a significant difference between the views of the younger generation and the older generation in the ancient town.

"Shao Mingwei seems to know about this thing," Tang Ning typed: "Before the old master made a wish to the River God, he introduced me to some of the wishing procedures."

Even Zhang Yun, a local, wasn't very clear about the specific matters of the wishing well, so how could Shao Mingwei, also an outsider, know?

"Let's ask Shao Mingwei later," Lin Yun said.

Tang Ning nodded. He and Lin Yun went to the wishing well, and during this period, there wasn't much around the wishing well. Tang Ning stood by the edge of the well, looking at the layers upon layers of coins in the water, many of which were thrown by tourists. The ancient coins they really wanted were pressed at the very bottom.