Chapter 49

Ji Ke noticed Tang Ning's abnormal behavior, especially the almost blood-red earlobes and tear-filled eyes, resembling someone who had been bullied.

"What's wrong?"

Just as Ji Ke was about to approach, the tightly closed door suddenly opened.

A young man with a face full of illness stood in front of the room. Despite his handsome appearance, even the bluish tint of his lips complemented his features, adding a touch of melancholy to his demeanor.

With a fist against his lips, the unfamiliar young man coughed, keeping his concerned gaze on Tang Ning. His voice was hoarse as he inquired, "Are you okay?"

Nervously, Tang Ning touched his right eye, still feeling the lingering sensation of being licked. The person before him seemed gentle, devoid of hostility, as though he wouldn't do anything harmful.

Is there a ghost in this room?

"I'm fine," Tang Ning said anxiously, rubbing his eyes. His damp gaze met Ji Lianyan's eyes, and the reflection of the red lantern appeared strangely eerie.

"Lianyan, don't just care about others. Are you okay? Haven't seen you all day," a man beside them expressed concern.

"I'm not facing any major issues, just tired today and wanted to rest a bit more. Thanks, Uncle Ji, for your concern." Ji Lianyan weakly smiled, then turned to Ji Ke, politely saying, "This time, thank you for helping me pick up the person."

As Ji Ke observed Ji Lianyan, he responded respectfully, "No problem."

Ji Lianyan's eyes drooped slightly, tiredness evident. His gaze landed on Lin Yun, and he asked, "May I know who you are?"

"I'm Lin Yun, Tang Ning's distant cousin," Lin Yun replied.

"Hello, cousin." Ji Lianyan nodded slightly. "It's already late; you can stay here tonight."

Lin Yun glanced around, then looked at his phone, still without a signal. Originally, he planned to bring Ji Lianyan back to Tang Family Village before nightfall, but various supernatural encounters delayed their arrival at Ji Family Village until late at night.

Next to the mourning hall, only three players were guarding. Knowing that three players could hold out for the first day of guarding, Lin Yun pondered whether staying here tonight would mean leaving for home no earlier than tomorrow afternoon, a night and a day enough to kill two people.

The urgency of time weighed heavily on Lin Yun as he explained, "Uncle, today Mr. Tang passed away. Tang Ning needs to rush back for the vigil. Let's simplify the wedding and complete it sooner so we can return to fulfill Mr. Tang's mourning."

"Oh my, how could Mr. Tang leave us?" Uncle Ji expressed surprise and quickly intervened, "Tang Ning and Lianyan can't get married! Marrying within three years of mourning will bring retribution!"

Allowing Tang Ning and Ji Lianyan to marry fulfilled Tang Xianheng's last wish. Lin Yun remembered how Tang Xianheng couldn't close his eyes until Tang Ning promised to fulfill his unfulfilled wish, only then did he peacefully close his eyes.

The system provided Ji Ke with a map to Ji Family Village and informed players about Ji Lianyan's astrological signs, indicating that the wedding must proceed. Even though in this world, marrying within three years of mourning would bring retribution, they had to get married.

Remaining calm and resolute, Lin Yun said, "These are feudal superstitions. We should believe in science."

Uncle Ji happily responded, "Don't believe these young people; listening to the wisdom of the elders saves you from trouble!"