seventy four.

Harry. 

I watch Flora run her hand gently over the horses nose, petting the white star on it's forehead. 

"It's not fair why can't we ride instead of walk" She says, not turning around, still too involved with the horse. 

"You know why, come on we already wasted the whole morning because you wouldn't get out of bed" I hurry her. 

"I was tired" She complains, placing an arm around the horse who looks completely non plussed, chewing hay idly. 

"Come on" I take her cold hand in mine, leading her through the quiet stables and across the lawn, the sky a covering of grey, freezing air nipping at every bit of flesh that isn't covered.  

"How far is it?"She asks as we reach the end of the gardens and head up the track that leads into the woods. 

"A few miles" I say placing my arm around her shoulders instead as we walk.

"It's bloody freezing, I wish I'd stayed in and baked with your mum" She says, her head in the against my shoulder. 

"I'm staring to get sick of your bitching" I say kissing the top of her head as we walk through the trees I spent most of my childhood playing in. When we arrive at a cross path I frown. We should've taken the dog. 

"Don't tell me you aren't sure where you're going" Flora says. 

"It's definitely left" I confirm, attempting to sound matter of fact, leading Flora down the narrowing trail. 

I'm almost losing hope an hour later when I see a familiar tree, the branches warped and twisted and perfect for climbing. 

"I know where I am!" I suddenly exclaim, Flora looks at me scathingly, before breaking into a smile. 

"You mean it was just chance that we've made it" She shakes her head. 

"Yes, well that's not the point.. it's just through here" I take her hand, stepping my way through the undergrowth and entering a clearing, sheltered by trees, in the middle is an even better tree for climbing, it has a tree house that was built for me and Eddie when we were about 9, we honestly lived in here. It has a bridge that reaches from one tree to another and a sheltered roof that means it always stays dry in the rain, or at least it used to. 

"Oh my god, this is so cool" Flora says walking forward, letting go of my hand momentarily as she stares up at it. 

"Tell me about it,  when I was 10 my friends thought I was the height of cool" I say, guiding her over to the ladder. 

"Please be careful" I say, standing underneath her as she starts to climb, my heart in my mouth. When she's reached the top safely I climb too. Meeting her in the wood bound box. She's looking around the small room, there are remnants of my childhood. 

"I love the s club 7 poster" She smirks, there's an incredibly faded poster stuck to the wood with a pin. I look at her with an embarrassed smile. 

"I totally forgot about that, I think I might take it with me and put it up in my room" I say, going to untack it. She rolls her eyes at me, walking over to the small window. I have to duck my head to fit but it's a great height for her. She walks over to the far side where an incredibly weathered looking and unsafe bridge crosses from one tree to the other. She looks at me mischievously.

"Dont you dare" I say, pulling her back from the exit gently.

"But how will we ever get to the other side?" She says. 

"Is this side not good enough for you?" I say, gesturing to the damp and wood smelling box we're standing in. 

"I kind of like it actually, she says, sitting down, letting her legs dangle over the ledge above the ladder, I go over to sit next to her, staring out at the peaceful forest. Not even the rustle of a bird disturbs us.

"I miss coming here" I say, though I'm speaking quietly my voice echoes around the clearing. 

"I never thought tree houses would be your thing" She admits, shuffling a little closer to me, resting her head on my shoulder. 

"I guess they aren't anymore, it's such a nice break from the city, though" I say. I look at her, her normally pale cheeks flushed from the bitter cold. 

"You look freezing" I unwrap my scarf from my neck, shaking it out and placing it around her shoulders like a blanket, unwilling to leave the reminiscent place just yet. 

"It's okay, honestly" She protests weakly, although she looks grateful for it.  

"We can go if you want" I offer. 

"No, it's okay, you seem so calm" She says, readjusting her head against me. I'm not sure how long we sit for, talking quietly. I tell Flora all the memories that have suddenly returned on arrival at the tree house. I realise that the sky is starting to turn gradually darker and I can no longer see further than the edge of the clearing. 

"We should get going.." I say regretfully, standing up, stretching my legs that have gone to sleep from the lack of movement. 

"Are we going to get back before dark..?" She asks, looking a little nervous. 

"Of course, we'll be fine" I say, descending the ladder. I hold her hand as we begin the journey back through the woods, we must have walked nearly an hour, and I don't let on but I've no idea where we're going, we're probably minutes from darkness and one tree looks like the next. How the hell did I do this when I was 10? 

"Harry?" Flora asks, after probably the 6th cross path. 

"Yes?" I say. 

"We're lost aren't we?" She says, humour in her voice. 

"Maybe" I say, holding her tight to my side, unable to see her clearly anymore. I pull out my phone to use the torch, noticing a missed call from my mum, I sigh, calling her back. 

"Hello, Harry where are you both, you missed dinner?" She asks. 

"We're just on our way back" I say. 

"Are you lost? It's pitch black out there" She says. 

"Yes I'm aware it's pitch black" I say sarcastically, regretting it instantly. 

"I'll send Edward to come and find you, he knows those woods like the back of his hand" She says. 

"No! No way, I'm pretty sure we don't need him" I argue. 

"Harry don't be so stupid, Eddie will come and find you both, I'm sure Flora will appreciate it" She says. 

"Ugh" I mumble hanging up. 

"She's sending Edward to come and get us" I say grumpily. Flora doesn't say anything, instead she slides her arms around my waist, hugging me tightly. 

"Swallow your pride, navigation isn't your strong point" She says.