Chapter 4: Late Nights

"Ariadne" I whispered, shaking her sleeping body furiously. "Ariadne!" She swatted my hand away, and turned away from me, it was late, I couldn't blame her. "ariaaaaaadnddeeeeeeee"

"What!" She groaned, sitting up and running her eyes. I stared at her for a few seconds, feeling bad for waking her up.

"I wanna go explore, are you gonna come" she looked at me as if I was crazy.

"You woke me up to ask me that" she sighed, plopping her head back down on her pillow and pulling up a blanket.

"I guess not" I chuckled, standing up pulling my bandanna off. I headed for the door, opening it slightly before Ariadne made another noise. "What?" I asked me halfway out the door.

"If you get us kicked out of here I swear I'll kick your ass" she mumbled almost inaudibly, I laughed and slowly closed the door behind me.

For the most part, the citadel was pretty empty at the moment, lit up by dim lights powered by a large generator in the lower rooms. I wondered how this looked before they liberated it, full of war boys and mutants, and Immortan Joe himself, that greedy fucker. When I walked down the stairs to a lower level there were more people about, talking quietly to each other and eating. A small smile was brought to my lips, at least somewhere humanity still existed.

I nodded my head at a few of the people there, they were accustomed to new people, Furiosa saved whoever she could whenever she could and brought them all here. I spotted Furiosa who was already making her way to me with a bowl of soup.

"Wondered when you'd come out" she laughed "where's Ariadne?"

"Sleepin'" I answered, taking the bowl and pressing it to my lips, wasn't too bad for a wasteland soup, though... I wondered what they put in it.

"Do me a favour?" She asked, cocking her head to the side just a little bit. I nodded and she handed me another bowl of soup. "Bring this down to Max, he hasn't eaten at all today, I would do it myself but I gotta take care of the others." I nodded, looking around for a bit, I had NO idea where Max even was. "Oh just go down that way" she pointed behind me "should be working on his car or something."

I turned around and headed in the direction Furiosa pointed in. I took more sips from the bowl that was mine, holding the other bowl carefully, it had a lot of soup in it, and I didn't want to spill any. I turned around a corridor, where I could hear a voice whispering softly, then the sounds of metal on metal. When I reached the light I saw Max hovering over the open hood of a beautiful car, scratching the back of his head curiously, whispering inaudibly to himself. I stood there for a moment watching him, but saw that he was tuning his car.

"She's beautiful" I spoke, Max's head shot up, but he didn't say a word, his blue grey eyes just bore into my soul. I walked towards him, giving him the bowl of soup and looking down into his engine. He drank from his bowl, but not once did his eyes come off me. "You're doing it wrong" One eyebrow rose.

"What" he mumbled, his voice rough and gravely.

"Well, this is a V6 isn't it? You're tuning it up like its a V8 you're going to blow your engine if..." I trailed off, Max was still staring at me, his gaze almost burned. I cleared my throat, looking up to meet his cold eyes. "Can't find a V8 engine, can you?" I asked, taking the wrench from his hand and tightening things under the hood. He shook his head, watching what I was doing.

After getting his permission, he let me do what I could to the car and I tweaked some things from under it. A small card fluttered to the floor, unnoticed by Max, when I picked it up and flipped it, there was a woman and a child, both beautiful. I held it up to Max, who snatched it from my hand and looked at it.

"Who are they?"  Max said nothing, just stared at me and I couldn't tell what emotion he was feeling. He gently put the picture in his pocket, closing his eyes tightly before resuming his work on the car. He didn't mind me being in there with him, we just kinda stayed silent.

"Hey, Max?"  I called from a little chair in the corner of the room, silently, he looked up at me, his eyes piercing and sharp. "I think I know where I can get you that V8"