Chapter 57: Don't Blame Yourself

I opened my eyes slowly, for once I felt fully rested, energized and... Well I was happy. Max's sleeping face was close to mine, all this time I spent with him and not once have I ever witnessed him sleeping. I peeked over his shoulder at Ariadne's bed, she was gone, probably with Furiosa, I smiled, so glad that I didn't have to worry anymore if I couldn't find her.

I watched him for a bit, calm, gentle. Smiling as his hand reached over and around my waist. I brought my fingers to his lips, touching them gently; he looked so peaceful. I ran my fingers through his dark hair.

His eyes snapped open, crazed and he looked around the room his hands balling into fists. "Shhhhhh" I rub his arm gently, and he looked back to me.

"When did you get here?" I laughed, looking up into his blue eyes.

"Ah... Um" he hesitated for a moment. "Couldn't sleep" he mumbled, he looked a little upset, I lifted my head up, kissing his chin, the stubble of his beard tickling my lips. He gave me a soft smile, looking down at my wound.  "How is it?"

"S'alriggghttttt" I assured him, not wanting to tell him how badly it really hurt, it almost felt like something was wrong, but I shook the thought off, it was just a big knife and the healing process would hurt. "Max?..." I called, he looked at me.

I wondered if I should ask him, ask him about what he was feeling, towards me and in general. I sighed, "Is it the voices again?" I decided to ask, not wanting to bring up what was going on between us and have him shut me out again.

He stared at me, his eyes hardening but I brought my hand to his face. "Please don't do that" I breathed "please don't shut me out again" Max frowned. "I can see it max, I see it when you close your eyes... They... They haunt you don't they?" He stayed silent, but he didn't look angry. He then nodded slowly. 

"Everyone I couldn't protect" he turned his head, giving me a sideways glance. "I was hearing your voice when you were lying in that hospital bed..." I stood up, masking the pain I was in and crouched in front of him, like he did to me when Ariadne was kidnapped.

"Listen to me." I spoke, stern but gentle. "None of that is your fault" he looked away but I grabbed his hand, placing gentle kisses on it, "and you did protect me, I'm alive right now and had you not been there when you were I wouldn't be Max" he was still silent, "Max, when I blacked out, I was back home... Back to what the world used to be, the grass, the trees, everything." He looked at me now, confused, "I was going to stay there... But I heard your voice calling me, you were on the other side of the highway, holding your hand out to me, the wasteland behind you, I chose you Max, you brought me back." He stared into my eyes. But leaned his forehead onto mine.

"Are you hungry?" He asked moments later, standing to his feet and helping me up, I smiled and nodded, and together we walked out of the vault.